• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabbed bumper fixings

Chancer

NAXJA Forum User
I've been wanting to build myself a rear bumper and tyre carrier for some time now, and have been reading all the discussions with interest, however, one thing seems to be missing: how are people fixing the bumper to the body? At the moment, my idea is to either build or get an I-beam arrangement going, thereby creating a nice strong fixing to the unibody (4 bolts per bracket), but I'm open to suggestions. And pics are always appreciated. Thanks!!

You want to use the factory mount points PLUS the frame rail mounting points!

At the risk of sounding really stupid, where could I find them, and what would they look like? Also, would it be a good idea to beef up the original mounting points by using a backplate?

Oh, just looked at FSM - ignore the first part please!

Last edited:
Chancer said:
At the risk of sounding really stupid, where could I find them, and what would they look like? Also, would it be a good idea to beef up the original mounting points by using a backplate?

Oh, just looked at FSM - ignore the first part please!
The mounting that I have seen the best results from is to use the factoy mounting points in cobination with the hitch / skid plate mounting points.

I did it a little differently than everyone else, but I think it works great (always nice to get some different ideas). Here's what I did:

-plated the back 18" or so of the frame with 3" angle (bottom and inside)
-welded a piece of reinforced 2" angle flush to the back crossmember thing. This piece is right behind where the inner two original bumper mounting holes are.
-driled the inner two bumper holes through the newly added angle.
-attached my bumper using the original 4 holes, two of which (on each side) now attach to the 'frame'.

I fabbed up my bumper, and the 'external' attachemnt is plenty strong, so I think this arrangement works well. I dont carry any significant weight on my bumper, but I have hit it plenty hard, and high lift from it regularly, and it never moves. It probably isnt any better for attaching bumpers than running attachments down the 'frame' like everyone else, but I get some reinforcement out of it also, so that's nice. I might have a picture around if anyone is interested.

Travis

Nice work, Travis, thinking outside the box. I'd like to see a picture of that reinforcemant arrangement. :wave:

Stupid me forgot to take pictures while the tank was out. I will see if I can get any good shots with everything back in place.

Travis.

Back