• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 vs 231HD T-Case Internals, Differences?

Andy in Pa.

NAXJA Member #180
96 XJ, 4.56's, 35" tires, 7" lift
I blew the front pump seal in my auto tranny (aw-4), and had to pull the whole works out to fix that. Since the t-case is out, I was going to re-condition it (new chain/sprockets/check for any wear). I have no problems with the t-case now, I just thought it would be a good idea to open it up and change the chain since it is out of the Jeep anyway.

I have access to a 231HD case and was wondering if I swap in parts from that case is there any strength advantages? Heavier chain, heavier gears? My 231 has the 4 to 1 tera low setup right now. Does this affect using any of the 231HD parts?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited:
i think i recall a post about a guy putting in hd parts in a regular 231 so the internals must be interchangeable as for the 4.1 i don't have one nor have i seen one appart but from reading on the web i thought that it replaced the front half of the case if this is true i see no reason why you could not use the 231hd parts in you 231 4.1 try calling tera and asking them!

I bought a 231HD case from JB Conversions a few years ago. IIRC, it's got the wider Dodge chain and sprockets, as well as a heavier pinion set (which you can't use with the Tera 4:1.) I suspect all you can use is the chain and sprocket set.

ChiXJeff said:
I bought a 231HD case from JB Conversions a few years ago. IIRC, it's got the wider Dodge chain and sprockets, as well as a heavier pinion set (which you can't use with the Tera 4:1.) I suspect all you can use is the chain and sprocket set.

This is correct!The only other HD part is the 6gear planetary,the TeraLow is already a 5gear planetary!

This is correct!The only other HD part is the 6gear planetary,the TeraLow is already a 5gear planetary!

Thats what I suspected. I am trying to decide if it is really worth it. In my search for info on this subject, Beezil made a comment that he had never heard of anyone breaking the sprockets/chain (besides stretching it) in the factory t-cases. I haven't either so I think I may leave well enough alone for now and just change the chain.

Thanks for the info!

Andy

I say if you've got the wider chain and sprockets and your case is apart anyway, why not use them? Also, the Dodge HD case uses a larger shift fork and whatever the piece that the shift fork contacts, but the 241's use the same size parts as a 231, so when I upgraded my 231 with junkyard parts, I didn't worry about the HD shift stuff. Take a look at my article about my upgrade on www.madxj.com for a few pics and some text. Jeff

Back