• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CJ Locking Hubs

TheManch

NAXJA Forum User
There is an older CJ-7 at my local junkyard, it's pretty beat up but i was wondering about the locking hubs it has on the front. The whole axle looks decent and i was wondering if it was a D30? I haven't looked close or taken any measurements but i was thinking cheap manual front hubs? Any ideas, comments and especially corrections will be welcome.

Mike

not worth it unless you want to take the whole knuckle, including the inner C, and put it all on your D30. ä few people have done similar, it's cheaper than a Warn hub kit but requires much more work including welding. do a search for hybrid axles.

Well, to echo what has already been said, the outter knuckles on a CJ are not compatible with an XJ inner knuckle (CJ knuckles are compatible with a D44 though...). You'd have to replace the entire inner and outter assembly on both sides in order for it to work. In addition, the bolt pattern on a CJ is 5 on 5.5 and the XJ is 5 on 4.5. Unless you want to buy new rims and find a way to match the rear axle bolt pattern with the front, I would stay away from it. You'd probably break even with the time and money spent on the CJ knuckle swap, or just outright buying the Warn hub kit.

Thanks for all the info guys, looks like i'll be replacing my unit hubs for now, axle swap later, way later. I've got too much to do for now, once again thanks for all the help.

Mike

Back