• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35" on Stock Axles???

TDeaton13

NAXJA Forum User
So my question is can I run 35" on my stock axles, D30 & D35, if all I do is just re-gear them??? Can it still be my DD???

Thanks!

yeah...if you don't do any hard wheeling and especially don't get lockers you MIGHT be okay. I had a friend who did that for about 3 years and wheeled the sh*t out of his TJ with no problems...BUT there's 9 other people who have broken theirs for every one of those stories.

-Keith

Don't spend the money regearing the D35 - you're polishing a turd...

better if it's just your daily driver....if it's your wheeler also it won't be your daily driver for long :twak:

Last edited:
i wheel and DD my rig and it has the D30/D35 combo and i run 35s w/ 4.88s. The axles both have quick loks in them. Will be swapping those out very soon though.

MuddinXJ said:
i wheel and DD my rig and it has the D30/D35 combo and i run 35s w/ 4.88s. The axles both have quick loks in them. Will be swapping those out very soon though.

Thanks for the info....by the way have you had any trouble with it b/c of the tires??? And how does it do crusin' at like 65-70??

for the cost of re-gearing the d-35, you could swap in an 8.8 with disks and 4.11 gears... just an option that you might want to look at...

Run it till they break. Then you'll have your answer. Like most things, if you understand the weak points and try to avoid them you'll be fine. but keep your eye out for a D44 in the mean time.

a woman in my club runs a tj on 35's with a super 35 kit and has not had any problems.

but like ranger said for the cost of that you could swap in a factory axle, lightly upgrade the 30, and be better off. I wouldnt even bother hunting for a 44, go with a 29 sp 8.25. i beat the sh*t out of mine and the damn thing wont give up.

Ramsey said:
a woman in my club runs a tj on 35's with a super 35 kit and has not had any problems.

I have done some careful wheeling with 35's on my d35 with 456 and an easy locker. I set it up originaly for 33' and have now bumped up to larger tires. I must admit I am already building a 44 for the front and don't plan on bashing the d35 I have too much until I finish the swap. I have a buddy that is running 36' on a d35 with upgraded axles and he beats the heck out of his rig, he knows that eventualy it is going to break..but when? I, on the other hand feel more comfortable with the upgraded axle going in soon. Good luck with your ride.

i'd run 35s on an OPEN d35 diff if your only wheeling was around your own property or very nearby and it was pretty mild wheelin. there's no way I'd take a time-bomb on a trip that would leave me stranded when it blows. an open diff does wonders to save shafts.

I did 1/3 of Fordyce (and back out) with open D35 and 33s, with way too much bouncing and throttle. it never broke, but I had spare shafts just in case.

Nihil said:
but like ranger said for the cost of that you could swap in a factory axle, lightly upgrade the 30, and be better off. I wouldnt even bother hunting for a 44, go with a 29 sp 8.25. i beat the sh*t out of mine and the damn thing wont give up.
that was just an fyi, no way would i recommend it. i still cant believe she dumped all that money into it, but it does hold up.

Island XJ said:
d35s are barely adequate for stock tires. upgrade before going with larger tires.

"Barely adequate" seems a bit of a strech. I know tons of people that run 31's or 32's with a D35 with no problem. So I'm positive that stock tires wouldn't be a problem. I mean if they can barely hold up to the stock tires then why would the factory put that size tire on??? Yes the D35 is weak and there are better chocies out there but I know that they can hold up with at least "stock tires".

TDeaton13 said:
"Barely adequate" seems a bit of a strech.
Yer right, I was being inflammatory. They are "just adequate" :D. I didn't mean to mess up your thread with my SPOBI. My problem is that I hate that axle and it always ****ed me off that they would supply such a weak unit from the factory. I'm just prejudiced, and its the first thing i rip out and replace when I am building up a jeep for someone. All i was trying to say is, do it, but just don't expect it to last. You may get some good use out of it, anything is possible, but I would just do it for fun knowing that it probably won't last.

Last edited:
Back