• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 Question

rws

NAXJA Forum User
I have to pull the axle shafts on my Dana 44 1990 jeep. What kind of puller do I need or do I even need a puller??

No puller. Take the brakes apart, undo the four bolts that hold the brake backing plate on. These also hold the shaft retainer. Once removed, the shaft will slide out. You might have to give it a yank, but it will slide out.

Did you swap a 44 into your 90?

hjeepxj said:
Did you swap a 44 into your 90?
Good point. The Dana 44 wasn't being offered in 1990, so unless you (or a previous owner) had it swapped in, you may not have what you think you have. If it's a 1990 with the stock Dana 35 axle, it's a c-clip axle and you can't just pull the shafts out.

Eagle said:
Good point. The Dana 44 wasn't being offered in 1990, so unless you (or a previous owner) had it swapped in, you may not have what you think you have. If it's a 1990 with the stock Dana 35 axle, it's a c-clip axle and you can't just pull the shafts out.

;)

Exactly what I was going to point out, but the reason I said it like that is sure as night is dark, he would have swapped it in and I wouldve looked like a maroon. :laugh: :wave: :D

If it is a D44,turn the drum around and screw all the lugs nuts on upside down about half way,then use the drum as a slider hammer!Its always worked for me!

Back