• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check out my new roof rack

i like the wood roof rack better..
pa080027.jpg

lol j/k.. nice RACK man....
you got a NICE RACK

alrite.. ill stop....

Last edited:
dothedew24_7 said:
lol I like the above shot- nice use of the roof...not a bad lookin rack either

Oh man, I agree LOL, super way to get those 12 pieces of sheetrock home from the lumber store. I might just have to get some kind of brush guard on my new front bumper so I can attach some 2x4's to it and my surco roof rack just for that purpose...

and with the sheetrock up there, you know you will always be parked in the shade.

As for the other roof rack, looks good. I'm not in the market for one at this time, and don't knwo what you should charge to make them for others.

-Copperhead

Beej said:
How much does it weigh?

and another thing, how much does it weigh?

That size tube looks like way overkill for a roof rack.

How much does it weigh?

the mounts do seem week but I have my 33 inch spare up there. A buddy and I were both up there right after I finished it and nothing moved at all.

Its like 43 x 60. and 4 inches tall. it only sits 1/4 inch off of the roof at the highest point.

RichP said:
Oh man, I agree LOL, super way to get those 12 pieces of sheetrock home from the lumber store. I might just have to get some kind of brush guard on my new front bumper so I can attach some 2x4's to it and my surco roof rack just for that purpose...
i was refering to the pics in his gallery when he got up on the roof of the garage to take the pics- he posted the pic after i already posted :D

Very nice looking rack!!!!
icon14.gif

jez95xj said:
I just finished this last weekend and a few people have asked me what I would charge if I was to make more. what do you think a good price is? I used 1 5/8 tube and surrco feet that I coped to the tube.
go here to check out the picsI have no clue how to post pics.

http://ericwilhelm.homeip.net/joey/roofrack/index.html

thats what I was thinking. I may just use it for a parade float. no matter how silly it is it did the job that it needed to do.

jez95xj said:
the mounts do seem week but I have my 33 inch spare up there. A buddy and I were both up there right after I finished it and nothing moved at all.

Its like 43 x 60. and 4 inches tall. it only sits 1/4 inch off of the roof at the highest point.

Well, it's not really about how much static weight they can hold. I knwo the trails I ride, I can really get my Xj rocking. That constant side to side motion really works those gutter mounts, the gutter itself can flex a lot. With that, my Surco rack and mounts didn't last long on a trip to the Rubicon.

witt said:
i like the wood roof rack better..
pa080027.jpg

lol j/k.. nice RACK man....
you got a NICE RACK

alrite.. ill stop....

Run some 5/4 x 6 Trex decking diagonally, add a cedar railing, and you got yourself a nice mobile party deck. Git er' done.

Very nice. I really like the look of the large diameter tubing. The mounts should be fine. The actual load bearing is done by the bent steel bar you have welded to the rack which looks like serious overkill (which makes it perfect in my book) The plates that bolt to it merely keep it from flying off.

I am agree completly with Chuck. Gutter mounts have NO stability to them. great for luggage, bad for EVERYTHING else. Think about it like this. Your rack, is a STRONGER structure than your JEEP. PERIOD. As your Jeep flexes and twists the body much more than most people think, your rack doesnt. In a relativly short time, with wheeling of course, those mounts will be done. Finito. Worthless.

Dont get me wrong about the rack, i like the looks for sure. But with all the time you have into the rack itself, you should consider mounting it better. JMO.

Matt

Back