• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrading stock axle shafts and u -joints

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
now that i haev learned i should upgrade my axle shafts and u-joints in my stock dana 30 and 35 axles..... what are some good upgrades i should go with and from where?

dellstopjeep said:
now that i haev learned i should upgrade my axle shafts and u-joints in my stock dana 30 and 35 axles..... what are some good upgrades i should go with and from where?

Get the non-disco rev dana 30 housing with the bigger 297/760 Spicer u-joints from 95'+ jeeps and abs equiped cherokee's before 95'. These are dana 44 sized u-joints and since that is what breaks the most when wheeling, you have a decent axle shaft there. Also try to get a xj dana 44 or ford 8.8 rear axle. These are nice and strong and hold up well to 35's. If you do get the ford 8.8 with the disc brakes, make sure you weld the diff center section to the axle tubes because these have a tendency to spin and break all kinds of stuff. Do some searches on the topic and you will find lots of info, but basicly what I outlined above is a inexpensive upgrade that have a lot of bang for the buck, especially the ford 8.8 with its nice disc brakes.
Troy

Disagree :D do a 30 spline upgrade rear (30 spline shafts and a detroit) and convert your front to 297 u-joints (replacement shafts inner/outer are available) and enjoy. I could not break a rear 30 spline 35 with 38.5 TSL's so they are strong enough :D

shimmy said:
i thought you were selling ur rig?

ended up backing out with the truck decided i really want to keep my xj!
where were you for the poker run at browns camp this weekend. IM tellin ya you missed out!!!!

HOw much does a 30 spline upgrade generally run for?

XJoachim said:
Disagree :D do a 30 spline upgrade rear (30 spline shafts and a detroit) and convert your front to 297 u-joints (replacement shafts inner/outer are available) and enjoy. I could not break a rear 30 spline 35 with 38.5 TSL's so they are strong enough :D

I definately disagree with that. :nono: And this coming from a guy with a dana 60 front/dana 70 rear axles. WOW!!! :D
While that shafts might be strong, you still have the weak housing, tubes, small ring gear, C-Clips etc etc. I only see this as a possibility in a coil spung vehicle like a TJ or ZJ where getting that coil stuff installed could be a pain, but it is a major turd polishing to get that kit. Then you also have aftermarket shafts. For alot cheaper you could get a xj dana 44 that will bolt in and you can get spare shafts from another xj dana 44 or tj dana 44 or get a ford 8.8 with disc brakes.

Big Red said:
I definately disagree with that. :nono: And this coming from a guy with a dana 60 front/dana 70 rear axles. WOW!!! :D
While that shafts might be strong, you still have the weak housing, tubes, small ring gear, C-Clips etc etc. I only see this as a possibility in a coil spung vehicle like a TJ or ZJ where getting that coil stuff installed could be a pain, but it is a major turd polishing to get that kit. Then you also have aftermarket shafts. For alot cheaper you could get a xj dana 44 that will bolt in and you can get spare shafts from another xj dana 44 or tj dana 44 or get a ford 8.8 with disc brakes.
:D The non-c-clip axles are strong enough to handle tires up to 35" in stock condition and with an upgrade to 30 spline axles they are holding up to 38.5" TSls, tried to break them but couldn't do it. I destroyed WARN alloys in the front D30 while trying to break the rear 30 spline - the rear was still fine.

You don' know nothing why i changed to 60/70s. Also you don't know the difference between a 89 D35 and a c-clip D35 so why don't you shut up and let the guys talk who have experience with that type of rear axle? :firedevil

im thinking about replacing my axles and was wondering what to get the 8.8" out of? A foxbody stang or a 4wd ranger? also on the front what would be cheap, easy, and good for an inexpierenced person(with swapping axles) axle that could be swapped in.

XJoachim said:
:D The non-c-clip axles are strong enough to handle tires up to 35" in stock condition and with an upgrade to 30 spline axles they are holding up to 38.5" TSls, tried to break them but couldn't do it. I destroyed WARN alloys in the front D30 while trying to break the rear 30 spline - the rear was still fine.

You don' know nothing why i changed to 60/70s. Also you don't know the difference between a 89 D35 and a c-clip D35 so why don't you shut up and let the guys talk who have experience with that type of rear axle? :firedevil

Wow, didn't mean to **** you off there bud. :D
Just have a hard time believing a dana 35 holding up to 38.5" TSL's. If you've done it and they hold up then I'm very surprised. I'd still think the xj dana 44 or ford 8.8 is a better option with the same mods as the dana 35, but I still wouldn't put 38's on them. Maybe 37" mtrs at the most.
Why did you go with 60/70's??? I bet your rig really stands out there in Germany!!! :worship: How is it getting aftermarket parts? I've always wanted to go to Germany, my dad cannot say enough good things about it after he moved to Chicago with parents when he was 13.
Troy

my main reason for wanting to upgrade this dana 35 is i already wasted the money on damn gears, and has done great with 33's and the gears, but i have the big bug and want to go bigger. so upgrading the spline probably wont be something i can do. Maybe i will just keep my eyes open for a dana 44. If its complete it will save me time and all i will have to worry about it regearing.

dellstopjeep said:
my main reason for wanting to upgrade this dana 35 is i already wasted the money on damn gears, and has done great with 33's and the gears, but i have the big bug and want to go bigger. so upgrading the spline probably wont be something i can do. Maybe i will just keep my eyes open for a dana 44. If its complete it will save me time and all i will have to worry about it regearing.

Someone is making a 5 hr drive each way this weekend for my xj dana 44 for sale and someone else locally is 2nd in line, but I know of 1 that I saw not to long ago here in Sacramento and know someone who had 1 3 weeks ago in Las Vegas. The xj dana 44 is so nice because it bolts right in, especially easy if you are upgrading from the 8.25 because you can reuse the u-bolts if you want and the driveshaft. The driveshaft should also work if upgrading from the dana 35, but you will need new u-bolts then. Probably should replace them anyways if they are marginal.
Troy

i just did my 8.8 conversion i got it out of a 96 exploder v8, it is a 31 spline with disks it was a very eazy install still haven't hooked up the e-brake but with time it will be working too

Hey dell, did you make it up to the poker run? I made it for my maiden voyage. I was the green 99 on 35's. What were you in. I had a friend that was thinking about buying your rig till I saw that you are not selling. Geeeez

So Okay, to go along with this let me ask. I have a 88 XJ I'm wheelin with 31's and stock gears. Open diffs. I've got the axle shafts y'all mentioned and put the 297's in them and they are waiting for the stock ones to break before I swap them.

I currently have the non c-clip d35 in the back but before I move up to 33's (within the next 3 months) I want to make sure I can handle it. Which shold I do.

I have a 8.25 with 4.10's in it sitting in my side yard. It's out of a 96 2wd XJ. I believe its c-clip and 27 spline right? Haven't cracked the cover to look.

I can get ahold of an 8.8 for around $150 but fab cost will run it up to $300 which would cut into my tire money.

Or, I could upgrade my D35.

I see that lockers are much more expensive for the 8.25 than what you can get for the 35 or 8.8. I don't plan on going bigger than 33's. I can almost go anywhere I want with 31's.

Mainly trail running here in Texas with little rock action. Daily Driver and I need to cover some miles to get to the good trails.

Help me keep going in the right direction

the 96 8.25 should be a 29 spline. I would just do the 8.25 since you have it, and being that its 29 spline it will handle your 33's no problem.

jeepme said:
the 96 8.25 should be a 29 spline. I would just do the 8.25 since you have it, and being that its 29 spline it will handle your 33's no problem.

Agreed. Either 96 or 97'+ was the start of the 29 spline 8.25 which is in the neighborhood in strength to a dana 44. So since you have it, I'd go with it and 4.56 gears if you can. That's the lowest you can go with the 8.25 and enough gearing for 33-35" tires. If you get more funds/get a good deal on tires than the 8.8 is a great axle and worth the $ especially if you get the 96+ with disc brakes.

jeepme said:
the 96 8.25 should be a 29 spline.
Negative; the 96 8.25" will probably be a 27-spline; the changeover to the 29-spline came late in the model year.

Back