• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fast Daystar BB Questions

nhrocker

Jackstand wheeler
Need fast help!

I've got the Daystar BB with the non-greasable shackles coming and I need to know what I should use for grease on the bushings. Also is PB blaster my best option to help me get the bolts out? I'll be attempting to do this in a parking lot with hand tools and a high lift. And should I pick up some coil spring compressors for the front?

Last edited:
Re: Need fast help!

GET JACKSTANDS!! Don't use the Hi-Lift for anything except getting the Jeep up higher. Put the frame on some heavy/tall jackstands and get that Hi-Lift out of there.

PB Blaster is excellent stuff for penetrating into the threads, don't think WD40 is going to cut it for you there.

Coil spring compressors can help in the front, but they have the potential to fly off at high speeds. When I did my BB, I used a pair of strut compressors from Checker Auto, but they were new in the box so they weren't quite as unsafe. They will probably be your fastest option however since you are doing this in the parking lot. Otherwise, you can disconnect the swaybar and possibly the trackbar if needed to droop the axle far enough to remove the coils.

Thanks for the tips. I just got back from picking up some PB blaster, a deep socket for the lower shackle bolt, a 1/2 in. drive breaker bar to turn it, and some good all purpose grease. I already sprayed the shackle bolts twice and hammered on them a little like it suggests.

Sadly, all my jack stands are 4 1/2 hours away, at home. I don't plan on going under it at all while its up and I have the high lift, my stock jack and a few friends, and a bunch of wood to block stuff up. This has become an emergency fix since my isolators and my shackles are completely shot.

I was planning on only lifting one corner at once, will that work? And if I take off the stabilizer and possible one end of the shocks, will that give me enough room to get the poly spacers in?

Doesn't this lift have shocks? If not, you'll find that with the BB your stock shocks are near their max extension when sitting flat. Since you should be replacing the shocks, they come off as part of the lift install. Steering stabilizer isn't an issue during a lift like this, but the swaybar certainly is especially if you want to do one side at a time. By disconnecting the ends you'll find that the axle is a lot more flexible, allowing you do do the lift more easily. I'm pretty sure I did my front one side at a time when doing my RE BB, but the rear is easier to do all at once, especially since you have to wiggle the rear swaybar out.

None of your friends have jackstands? I'd still really strongly urge that you use them; you may not be directly under the Jeep, but you'll be mighty close to it while yanking on it and will have your head in the wheelwell many times. Actually, while removing the swaybar and adding the longer brakeline (they do offer a longer brakeline, right?) you will be under the Jeep so think about your safety...

goign under a vehicels not resting on 4 tires with out jackstands is a no no, when i was lifting my jeep my jeep highlift slide out from under my hitch and the only thing that saved my life were 4 sears jack stands.

It's only about a 1-1.5 in. lift. It consists of coil spacers in the front and longer shackles in the rear. What can I say, it was cheap!:D

I'm at college and all the people I know who have this stuff are pretty far away as well. If it wasn't for the fact that I can't drive it with the $h*tty shackle, I'd drive home and grab the ones I made last year. 12 in. square base and they adjust from 13 up to 27 inches! Would have been perfect!

And I'm only diconnecting the links in the stab. bars so I can get the droop to try and fit in the coil spacers. They'll be put right back in until I can get some quick disco. and a bigger lift.:clap:

I just completed this exact same lift on my Cherokee this weekend, wanted another inch on top of the 3" lift I already have. Plan on stuff not going as expected. Bolts will be seized, springs will be very hard to get off, etc. I always start projects as an optomist, always end up getting bitched at by my wife for being in the garage 8 hours to one day longer than I told her. I used P. B. blaster, breaker bar to get shackle off at top mount to frame. Bolt was seized up at bottom of both shackles where it connects to leaf spring. Used lots of blaster, a 1" socket over hex end of bolt , and a very large C-clamp to push bolt out. At first when I finally did get the bolt to turn at the shackle/leaf spring area on both sides I realized very shortly that the metal bushing in the middle of the rubber bushing was just turning as well. Front; took my shocks completely off(makes getting the spring off much easier) , and disconnected the sway bar. With spring compressors the springs came off fairly easy. Disconnecting the driver side shock, one of the bolts busted at the bottom mount, trip to hardware store. Other side front, the retaining clip bolt stripped out the threads on the axle perch for the shock, drilled out hole, tapped for next size up metric bolt(10 x 1.25) and another trip to the hardware store. Don't do one side at a time, saves trips to hardware store. Get jack stands, you can get a pair cheap at any department store if there's no auto part shop near by! Also needed to post a thread on whether the spacers should fit as loose as they did, thanks for the replies, I'm pretty sure they're fine. Escaped to the computer since the wife's still bitching at me. How hard could a 1" budget boost be I think were my exact words to her.

I picked up some PB and drenched the shackles, drove 1/2 an hour or more back, let them sit, sprayed them again, let sit, and then tried loosening the bolts with it just sitting there. Not jacked up or anything. I think I managed to get 3 of the 4 to start loosening already and then soaked them all again.
I also sprayed the top of the stabilizer links.

I plan on getting the bolts out of one of the shackles and getting some grade 8 bolts to replace them on both sides. With it jacked up I'll attach the new shackle to the leaf and then lower the body back on to it.

For the front I want to try to park one side up on something, then jack up the body on the other side. I'll have the stabilizer disconnected and probably one end of the shock. I'll let the end of the axle droop, hopefully enough to get the old isolator off and put in the 1 3/4 in. spacer. Attach everything and do the other side.

Does this sound like it will work? Is there something I could do to make it easier or faster?

Back