• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bar pin eliminator?

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I was trying to remove the rear shocks and broke one of the bolts. I panicked after that mishap and abondon the job until I have a chance to regroup or re-coup from my anger. Some where I heard that some of you use a bar pin eliminator. What do you use and how do you fasten it? I already got myself a drill bit and tap 10mm X 1.50 so that I could use a larger bolt and hopefully prevent this from happening again. Now if I could rid myself of that 'split ends bar pin.
Thanks.

A popular thing to do is to use the bracket at the ends of your rear sway bar (where it attaches to the axle) as bar pin eliminators. It's simple and it works well.

Kevin

The swaybar-based BPE puts the shock operation in the wrong plane to the axle although it works. I used JKS BPEs front and rear on mine and they've been great.

I don't really get how the BPE's help with the broken rear shock bolts problem. What stops the screws supplied by JKS to mount those blocks from getting stuck and broken the next time you want to change shocks???

Seems like the shock relocator from Detours helps fix the problem. It uses different bolts to mount to the frame and to the shock. I want their stuff but they're closed until July....ugh...sad...

http://detoursusa.com/xjstm.php

Cut holes in the floor and build a rear shock hoop so you can relocate the lower mounts and still run long travel shocks.....

Pics to come

PWRDrill said:
A popular thing to do is to use the bracket at the ends of your rear sway bar (where it attaches to the axle) as bar pin eliminators. It's simple and it works well.
Actually, it doesn't work well at all. It gets the shock in there, but the top is rotated 90 degrees from the way it's designed to be oriented, so when the suspension starts to work the top of the shock is being twisted. And neither that nor the real BPEs eliminate the need to fix the broken bolt, because that's what holds any of them in place.

You can ride "shockless" over to you friendly neighborhood body shop and have em weld a set of Rocky Road BPE's in place instead of trying to bolt em in. NEVER have to worry about rear uppers again!!

when you do get the broken bolt out, you need to chase the threads on the other holes. then use some copper based anti-seize on your new bolts, I belive loctite brand will work.

Back