• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Shock and length for 8" of lift????

RockRod

NAXJA Forum User
Was thinking 5150's....
Anything else recommended...
For you guys at 8", what are you running and happy with...
Got the size???? :us:
Oh yeah Have 8" RK with Clayton long arms....
Thanks for the info..

I'm actually wondering the same thing for 6" long arm setup. I've searched but got a lot of "just flex it and measure" reply's. Of course that would be the best thing to do but this is my daily driver and I need to order the lift with shocks and get it installed over a weekend. I will be running the stud/eye adapter and bpe's so that takes away about 3" in the front and 1.5" in the rear. I'm thinking of going with the 10" travel rear and 12" travel front but I'm really not sure. That would put me at about 17.5" compressed rear and 21" compressed front. Is that too long for the front? I'll be cutting fenders and running 35s if that helps. I know the best way is to measure myself but like I said thats not an option for me. I can always adjust the mounting points but I'd like to start with something that will work or take the least amount of customizing to make work. Here's some Bilstein 5100 specs.

BE5-6248-H5 10.17 5100 Off-Road 255/70 N/A 25.93 15.91 14mm eye/eye
BE5-6249-H5 11.94 5100 Off-Road 255/70 N/A 29.70 17.91 14mm eye/eye
BE5-6250-H5 14.30 5100 Off-Road 255/70 N/A 34.90 20.75 14mm eye/eye

If anyone running about 6" of lift could post some compressed/extended lengths and if your using the adapters or bpe's that would be very helpful.

I think all of these factors make a difference on shock/Suspension lenth. Please don't get board with the extra information.

I have a 98 4 door on 35" MTR's with a full interior cage running Rock Crawler 8" Coils, Aco's adjusted for 1 inch of lift and Long Arms in the front, I have a fairly light front Bumper with a warn 9000 winch. I'm currently running the 12" 5150s

The up travel seems to be fine but i'm limited on down travel. I will be trying the 14" 5150's soon.
Side note the coils are really soft and for my application i would like more spring rate on the torque coil. I'm still not sure if i like the 5150's yet? They seem to work well, but to soon to comment either way. I took off Rancho 9000's which worked good, but wanted to try the 5150's.

In the Rear i,ve got 8" Alcans, with a inch shackle lift. My shock mounts in the rear have been moved up to be even with the 8.25 housing

I'm running the 12" 5150's
In the rear they are to long for the shock mounts being moved up, but would be near perfect for the stock mounts, and a lighter XJ
I'm running alot of weight in the rear, Huge Toolbox, full of tools, 2 Drive shafts, both front axels shafts, rear shaft CO2 and so on
My jeep will be going on a diet soon. as should i.
My rear Bumper is a heavily supported rear stinger which might be equivilent to a normal rear tire carrier bumper weight. I'm also running about 60# of rear qtr body armor,

Next step for me is to relocated a rear shock cross member. Possibly tied into the interior cage, Any ideas guys

Hope this helps

Cruzzin_XJ

Im running the RE 7.5" coils with RE4.5 leafs and RK 2.5" shackles. I have doetsch tech 8000's. I cant remember if I have the 12 or 14 off the top of my head but whatever I have limits up travel in the front with trimmed stock flares but with the LA's I should get a ton of downward travel once I figure out what Im goin to do with my steering bind. I love the onroad ride, I dont run any sway bars and its as good as I could imagine an XJ on 35's would ever be. Im goin to be taking it out on its maiden voyage this weekend so we we will see how it goes.

I'm on 7.75 lift in the front, and 8 in the rear on 33s. I moved the rear shockmounts up on the axle. I run the 12 inch travel fronts, 8.5 inch travel rears (the 10 in travel rears were in danger of bottoming out having the shockmounts where mine are). If you had stock mounts I'd think the 10 in travels would be sweet in the back. I run longarms up front. My driveshaft is now my front limiter.

Beware, the 5150s have a longer compressed length as other shocks due to the piggyback design. I had 14" travel 5150s with 10" lift in front and they were simply too long. With 8" of lift i would say the longest 5150s you can fit are the 12" travel, if you have small bumpstops go with 10" travel so you don't destroy your shocks.

Back