• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE leaf packs...

JasonY

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had this problem? I can lift my jeep up and not even compress the leaf springs, i just got my 1462 packs installed last night and they are rediculously stiff. Will they be like this for a little while until they break in, or is there a problem?

Jason

Did you tighten down the bolts to the specified torque with the XJ standing on the tires or still lifted up and the axle hanging down? Try loosening all the bolts of the shackles and the front bushing, step on the rear bumper and bouce two or three times, then tighten them down to specified torque again. :wave1:

That is the problem with a lot of new springs. Like I mentioned in your other thread my RE1462's were like yours. I however used my Daystar ext shackle so I didn't have an issue with installing them.

I have read tons of threads how leaf springs give more lift at first, I feel they are a bit exagerated. Due that they may have had really sagging OE springs to begin with.

One of the reasons they are likr this is the thick spring steel. Nationals are the only on leaf spring mfg that uses many thin leaves. I don't know first hand, they sound like they are a more consistant leaf pack.

Your RE's will be fine, I you do want to break them in quicker. Add weight to the back on your Daily Drive. Then get them on the trail and flex them out. Within a couple months they'll settle to the 4.5-5" range.

I have RE 4.5" leaf springs with an extended shackle. The front end will always flex out first and make you think the back is too stiff. But once the front has used it's travel, the back will flex pretty good as well. I think these springs have been great. BTW, 4 years now and they have not sagged.

Is this RE1462 the part num. for their 3.5" lift or something else? Everyone had great stuff to say about RE now i see two threads in one week about the same problem...whats the deal?

JasonY said:
The 1462 are for the 4.5" lift, which in reality ends up being like 5-6+ inches
Actually, no. The 4.5" RE lifts use a 3.5" spring pack (RE1463) and longer rear shackle to allow more movement of the spring and axle. The RE1462 is a 4.5" springpack, which is used with a longer shackle on the 5.5" RE lifts...again for the same reason.

You CAN get the RE4.5" with a 1462 spring, but that's not the way the lift is normally packaged. They learned that it moves better with the longer shackle but they also allow mix-n-match of parts when you order so it's never really set in stone.

For the record, RE has two 4.5" kits. The RE6130 is the one I'm most familiar with, as it has the 3.5" spring pack and shackles. They also offer a 'Super-Ride' RE6111 4.5" kit, but that uses an AAL and blocks to get the height.

Back