• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strength diffs on stock D30 shafts

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Been doing alot of searching and havn't found much of an answer yet. Are the disco axles from a 95 YJ or XJ stronger or weaker then the non d XJ and Tj shafts(same ujoints 297 or 760)? I found a website(can't find it now) that was stating the 95 disco have more beef but have found conflicting opinion all over the place. I am aware of the seal issue with the non d's. I have not broke anything yet on the stock 260's but the joints are trashed and I'm not sure I'll be able to reuse the shafts so I might as well consider upgrading(if thats what you want to call it.) TIA

in a stock application with no lift or large tires or gears to deal with i would consider them both equal.. with the weakness being the fact that there are moving parts on the disco.. i dont know about any one axle being superior to another.. and with mass-produced stuff for OEM use i would be suprised if there was any differences besides small MFG tolerances... using non-disco axles is a reasonable upgrade and certainly a worthwhile effort once you start lifting and running bigger stuff...

If I remeber correctly the ABS version D30 disco axles ran the larger 297 Ujoints while the non used 260s. Then later (95) all the D30's used the 297's.

I'm having a hard time remembering where I read that, but I "think" that's right.

I was thinking about how to change the middle shaft and it seemed like it would be a PIA. I'm already lifted and running 31's soon to be 33's and locked.

Found the website:link

I don't even know if the difference is worth worring about and if I should just whatevers most avalible and put it in.

balloo93 said:
If I remeber correctly the ABS version D30 disco axles ran the larger 297 Ujoints while the non used 260s. Then later (95) all the D30's used the 297's.

I'm having a hard time remembering where I read that, but I "think" that's right.

Yeah, mostly found on the YJ's I belive. Some fo the XJ's may have had them also. I just wondering if there's a diff in the 297 disco shaft vs. the 297 non Disco.

Weasel said:
I was thinking about how to change the middle shaft and it seemed like it would be a PIA. I'm already lifted and running 31's soon to be 33's and locked.

Found the website:link

I don't even know if the difference is worth worring about and if I should just whatevers most avalible and put it in.

if thats the case i would start looking for some non-disco shafts.... trail fixes would be easier... you canuse the same axle housing.. just need to make a block-off plate for the hole and plug a few vacuum lines...

to run a non-disco shaft in a disco housing you will also need to pull the carrier and install a seal behind the carrier bearing. Sorry, its a little more complicated than just a block off plate and a few plugs.
sidriptide said:
if thats the case i would start looking for some non-disco shafts.... trail fixes would be easier... you canuse the same axle housing.. just need to make a block-off plate for the hole and plug a few vacuum lines...

Weasel said:
Been doing alot of searching and havn't found much of an answer yet. Are the disco axles from a 95 YJ or XJ stronger or weaker then the non d XJ and Tj shafts(same ujoints 297 or 760)? I found a website(can't find it now) that was stating the 95 disco have more beef but have found conflicting opinion all over the place. I am aware of the seal issue with the non d's. I have not broke anything yet on the stock 260's but the joints are trashed and I'm not sure I'll be able to reuse the shafts so I might as well consider upgrading(if thats what you want to call it.) TIA

I don't think there is any difference in strength of the actual shafts, just the difference in u-joint size. All those shafts interchange. It does seem that the one piece passenger side axle can take more than the two piece axles do, I've seen a good number of intermediate axle shafts break at the splines. I'm sure the longer one piece shaft allows some twist that makes it harder to break than the two piece shafts.

Balloo93 was right about the u-joints: my ’91 ABS non-disconnect D30 uses 297’s. The ’95 and up also use 297s. There are plenty of these axles around in the junkyards so they should be pretty cheap and swapping one in would be easy. Unless you already have gears, locker, ect in your current axle.

Back