• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't seem to shut it down.

Oldmanxj

NAXJA Member #940
My 1989 XJ,auto started fine but can't seem to turn key back to off and remove the key. pulled the coil wire and neg. battery cable off to shut it off. Is there a
lock out switch that is out of adjustment or what?. Any help would be great.

Darned cylinder locks act up a lot, my immediate action, is to wiggle the key a bit and see if I can´t get the worn key and the loose pins in the cylinder to line up, twist gently. Next step is to make sure you push on the brakes, slap the shifter forward and jiggle the steering wheel. The uninitiated wonder if your starting the Jeep or doing the Macarana.
Many times it turns out to be a bent key and jiggling will get it to work one more time or until it leaves you stranded someplace. I keep a cylinder and the tools to do the job, in my tool box in the back. My wife has the nasty habit of trying to force things and snapping off the key.
Once had the rod in the steering column, bind up in a strange way. Only happened once, never repeated.

Back