• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 vs d35

that would be a rear axle and they don't have u joints unless your talking about the ones on the driveshaft. Good deal if the 8.8 is in good shape and yes better then the 35.

bad deal if the kid sold you a 28 spline 8.8 with drum brakes

For $30 what do you expect. You can swap in 31 spline alloy from Dutchman for like $200 for the pair I think if you did get the 28 spline.

...because $30 for a 28 spline 8.8 with drums, that would still be an improvement over the dana35, is waaaay too much money :rolleyes:

...you guys crack me up, not everyone has the fab skills or money to upgrade to dana 44's, 60's or ford 9's

...cut off the spring perches, move em over, have a buddy or a shop weld them back on, weld the tubes to the pumpkin at the same time, hook up your brakelines and driveshaft/flange adapter and call it done.There's quite as few write-ups on the 8.8 swap, search away.

for $30? Jeez...

I might be willing to pay $30 bucks for someone to haul my d35 away...

Maybe this needs a new thread, but is the 8.8 a good upgrade from the 29 spline 8.25 strengthwise?

i know it would be nice to have discs, but unless it would be stronger i almost dont think it would be worth it??
thanks
Adam Spencer

awspence said:
Maybe this needs a new thread, but is the 8.8 a good upgrade from the 29 spline 8.25 strengthwise?

i know it would be nice to have discs, but unless it would be stronger i almost dont think it would be worth it??
thanks
Adam Spencer

Yes, the 8.8 is a 31spline axle, and even though it is a c-clip axle I havent heard of anybody breaking the c-clips. Also, it has a larger stronger r&p than the 8.25.

It's only a guaranteed 31 spline if it's from an explorer
mustangs and rangers ran 28 spline, 94(?) explorers and up had discs

In either case, an axle change won't stop the broken u-joint thing unless there is something inherently wrong with the existing setup and the problem is fixed during the axle swap.

But, yes the 8.8 will be a major improvement strenght wise...add in a set of solid heat treated u-joints...then you can break your trans...or your clutch..or break the motor mounts....natural procession....wheel....wheel harder....break parts....modify parts...wheel harder....break more parts....learn to weld...buy a parts cleaner...thats when ya know yah got it bad...I got it real bad.

I'm confused here....... 8.8s are in the rear and have NO ujoints. I did the swap and it was easy and well worth it. Parts of the 8.8 are almost in the D60 range. Read the specs on them both.
Did Ford ever make a solid 8.8 for the front? All I have seen in the front is Dana 44s,D50,D60 and smaller for the lighter trucks. I think they did use the 8.8 parts for an IFS but who'd swap in one of those?!

Back