• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker or L/S or what?

STEELFISH

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys I am running a 95 xj, w/d30, and Chrysler 8.25, 4.56 gears, I am looking to buy a locker or l/s of somekind, what do you reccomend? it is my daily driver, but I play pretty hard off road, I would just like to get past all momentum to make some lines, Lockright in front? Lockright in Rear? Truetrac front? Traclock rear? just trying to get some ideas thanks for the help....

Well...I wouldn't waste time with a limited slip...I would lock her up both front and rear...

What you do will really depend on your budget...If it is your daily driver I would consider an ARB, Eaton E-locker, or maybe the new T-locker( I don't think they make that one for anything less then a D60 right now)or an OX locker, if they are still making those...I wouldn't recomend putting a Lock-Right or Detroit in the front unless you have manual locking hubs..

For your rear you could put just about anything you want...If you want to save your tires though I would go with a selectable locker for the rear...

I also would not waste on money on a D30 or a an 8.25....You might as well find a combination of axles you like and build them up seperately aside from your xj and then install them when your ready...

Good luck!!

PS.. you didn't mention what tire size you are running but if you are running 35's ...might as well bump you gear ration to 4.88...since you'll have it all torn apart anyway...

Go Detroit F&R all the way. Mine is a DD and I have no probs with the detroit up front as far as your axles the 8.25 29 spline is very stout axle I am not going to get into the debate of 44 or 8.25 but whatever.. the 44 gives you more options as far as gearing 8.25 can handle 33's or 35's no prob i know a guy who wheels his 88 with an 8.25 27 spline with 37's he trashes his shit and still no breakage from the 8.25, now the 30 different story . Arb is nice if you have the cash, but I found a used Detroit for my 30 for $225 and it works great on the trails and its fine on road...

Full Detroit in mine.. I love it. And I used to have a TJ with ARB's F&R

hey guys i appreciate your info...I have chose to stay w/ the D30 and Chry 8.25 27 spline....I just regeared to 4.56, in the spring, I am running 33's for now, and will eventually go up to 35's at which time I will consider axle changes....I just sold EB axles, b/c I couldn't justify the switch at the time....what about the aussie lockers? for the front? any real issues w running an aussie or a lockrite in the front? some say don't do it, others say, it adds a little steering wheel drag others say nothing changed? I am on a tight budget right now so am looking for saving money....once again keep it coming thanks

I don't know, but I set up a HP D30 with an EZ Locker and 4.56's last night for my XJ. I hope it doesn't suck, but it's a flat-towed trail only rig. I'll tell you all how it goes in a few weeks.

Jared:patriot:

i am running a 27-spline 8.25 rear with a detriot and i'm pretty hard on it.. the newer detriot "soft" locker is near invisible in daily driving until i run the 33s aired-down.. then it barks pretty good on corners.. i am not locked up front due to the 260X shafts in the front but next year i will slap in some 760s and a lockright... gonna stick with the D30/8.25 and the 33" MT/Rs as long as i can.. i dont expect any problems.... ideally i would suggest something selectable up front and a Detroit in the rear....

Aussie = LockRight = EZ Locker = QuickLock

All basically the same thing. They just replace the spider / side gears.

Jared:patriot:

If you want to go that route.. Dont buy the lockright new they are $225-$250 new for that do I what I did and pick up one used from pirates, JU etc I paid $225 for mine it was used for a year and it works great. Its 10 times better than a lockright in my opinion..... But if your set on a lockright go ebay theres a few for usually 125 and up.. But one more time GO FULL DETROIT!!!!!!

Back