• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should it stay or should it go???

crystalship1

NAXJA Forum User
I want your guy's feedback on the pros and cons of removing the rubber mat splashguard "thingy" that's under the engine compartment.

Due to some clumsy and/or lazy mechanics over the years the cover is now hanging down in front because these bozos (mostly dealership types, BTW) have torn the holes out that those plastic inserts go through to hold it in place.

So ...... do I pull if off and toss it, or do I pull it off and repair the holes and re-install??

Thanks for any input!
icon7.gif

When I bought my XJ in 95, we took it out. A new one has been sitting in my garage, ever since. I think it would keep the engine bay cleaner, especially if you drive in mud, but I haven't had any problems from not having it.

Lost mine years ago and haven't missed it. Theoretically I suppose you could say it would have protected my tranny lines from the damage that left me stranded twice, but that's just guesstimating.

Would not hurt to replace it, $18 I think I remember hearing. Mines getting a bit ragged but my front skid is holding it up in place pretty much. There is some questions about whether it helps air flow thru the engine compartment, maybe. It might cause more air flow over the exhaust manifold, enough to keep it from cracking like alot of others I've read about but thats just a feeling. The manufactures do not put stuff on and if they could save $9 or $18 per vehicle you can bet your butt they would...

My vote is fix it and keep it. Yes, it probably keeps heat around the engine. On the other hand so many jeep problems are electrical that I'd do everything easily possible to prevent water from getting into any of the cables or connectors up in the engine compartment. I think Jeep pays the extra $$ just for the extra reliability that the protection brings.

Keep it. Among other things I feel it helps keep some of the crud out of the alternator.

Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get some large fender washers. (Those are the ones that have a larger diameter than a standard flat washer for the same size bolt.) They should be large enough to cover the damage without having to remove the whole things and make repairs.

Or you could buy a length of flat steel or aluminum bar stock and run that the full width of the shield, with holes drilled for the mounting bolts.

I took mine off at 65000 miles, now have 190000, and now have had no problems, and love having it off, everything under is so easy to get to, and it looks better.

Jackhill reminded me; I forgot to mention that once you install some of the aftermarket bumpers (BPI, etc) and chop the fenders that flappy thing would definitely hang down with nowhere to fasten.

Back