• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver's side window

dubbinxj

NAXJA Forum User
My driver's side window won't roll up or down.
Right before this happened, I had rolled it up and I heard a sort of clank metallic noise. I then tried to roll it down. Nothing. Tried rolling up. Nothing.
I can hear the motor turning when I hit the switch.
So I tried moving the glass itsself and the window went straight down. (n)
Luckily, when I got home, I pulled the glass up with a pair of long nose pliers and it is being held up with a pen jammed on the inside of the weather strip.

Anyone know what it could be? Is it an easy fix? I don't wanna bring it to the stealership if I don't have to. My FSM isn't really to helpful.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I've got a 1999 4 dr with power windows.

Last edited:
You will have to take off the interior door trim panel to see exactly what is wrong. It could be that one of the rollers fell off or the bolts that hold the glass to the regulator came off. Once it is open, you will have a better idea of what you need to fix it.

Not serviceable meaning I can't just try to fix it? I'd have to replace 'em? :doh: Is it difficult? I haven't taken out the door panel to look at it yet being that I'm at work right now. I'd hate to go to the stealership :bawl:

jneary said:
there are no rollers inside. it is a cable guide mechanism and they basically just come apart and are not serviceable.
Same thing happened to my 00 XJ last night.

So it's gonna be a dealership thing?

Back