• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding zerks to nongreasable tie-rod ends?

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought my WJ tie-rod ends in prep for the WJ knuckle swap. The tie-rod ends are the lube for life type without zerks. Has anyone ever carfully drilled them out and added zerks?

Angus

You can drill them out and tap for zerks, but the question is.... do they have the small ports inside to allow for grease to flow inside the ball.....
I have never disassembled one !!!!

Charles

I thought someone may have done this before, or at least tried?

I've cosidered this myself many times, but figure it would be dificult or even impossible to get all the metal filings out of the pregreased joint thus negating any benefit of being able to grease it.

Tony

Yes I have thought of that. I intended to go slow. I was thinking of pushing on the boot to squeeze out the greese inside. I am hoping that most of the shavings would be captured in the closest layer of greese. Of couse I use high quality greese to fill the now more empty rod end.

Angus

Back