• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Plug Size???

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well Im stumped I was going to change my t-case an tranny fluids today so i started with the t-case got that changed then moved to the tranny well i was going to undo the drain plug an noticed its circular with a squre bolt hole in it so I got my ratchets an 1/4 was to small 1/2 too big 3/8 too big so i made sure i got all the gunk out of it an made sure it wasnt a torx bit an same conclusion nothin so how do i get the drain an fill plugs out!

I belive its a Peugot BA-10

TORX :confused:

What year XJ? The BA 10/5 was used behind the 4.0L from 1987 thru mid-1990. If that's what you have, it's a metric size tool. Don't know what size it actually is. I have a tranny drain wrench left over from Renault days and that fits so I use it.

I think my friend made his own by taking a 3/8" short extension and grinding the tip slightly on all four sides.

The AX-15 also had that plug; while Snap-On apparently has something that fits, most people I've heard of have made a tool such as Eagle described.

Its an 88 I also thought it was metric. Well that takes care of that thanks! Also would 80 90 oil work instead of 75 90 oil the 80 90 I have is API GL5 so all thats the same all thats different is the consistency?

TORX

Alrighty then, I went out to the shop trying to find something I could make when I came across a Square Head Bolt measuring 3/8 so I ground it down to about an 8mm tried it perfect fit so I double nutted the threads stuck a wrench on the end and gaver her a try. Worked like a charm so tomorrow I will change the fluid! Just an update

TORX

Yep SnapOn and others sell SAE and Metric pipe plug sockets (I got one for my BA10, It is SnapOn #PPM410 5/16" )

You hit on a cheap & easy solution though...

Ya well it had a flaw I went to undo the fill plug an it was on there TIGHT so the 2 nuts that were locked on there just turned so I put only one on slappled a weld on so it wont move then got the 1/2 ratchet with cheater bar an started pulling worked good! I may still get one of those pipe socket though. Thanks Eagle an Yucca for the tip

TORX

I had this same dilemma a few years ago I later learn't it is a special tool it's size is 5/16 square.

TORX said:
Well Im stumped I was going to change my t-case an tranny fluids today so i started with the t-case got that changed then moved to the tranny well i was going to undo the drain plug an noticed its circular with a squre bolt hole in it so I got my ratchets an 1/4 was to small 1/2 too big 3/8 too big so i made sure i got all the gunk out of it an made sure it wasnt a torx bit an same conclusion nothin so how do i get the drain an fill plugs out!

I belive its a Peugot BA-10

TORX :confused:

That would probably be the Peugeot.
Save the Snap-on money, use it to start a fund for parts you might need (like another tranny). I just got an old hex head bolt (1/2" I think) from my stash of old parts and cut it down to about 3/4" long then ground the end of the shank down to 5/16" square with a bench grinder. Just stick it in a 3/4" socket and go. Toss it in the toolbox for next time.

If yours is like mine was, don't look too close at the stuff you drain out of it, it'll probably just scare you, all those shiny little pieces of metal.

Search the forum and read all the threads about the correct oil to use, then throw your hands in the air and just put in whatever you want. Synchros in something that old are probably well worn anyway, so whatever you use is going to seem like it's eating them up.

Back