• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heated mirrors

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody had to replace any of those heated door mirrors. I'm thinking about buying a set new for my 98XJ, have not been able to find any in the two boneyards I looked thru. I'm 'assuming' they will just plug in and will attach to the already installed wiring, be controlled by the defrost switch as the FSM shows. Again I am 'assuming' the wire is already there as I have the power mirrors already. How expensive were they... Tired of putting a modified gallon jug on them before every snowstorm...

New ones from 4Wheeldrive Hardware are $120 each.
Wayne

Heated? Considering what the factory gets for the old style unheated ones (even some of the aftermarket prices for the old style unheated ones) I think $120 is a bargain. (More than I'd want to pay, of course, but I lot less than I would expect to pay.)

Eagle said:
Heated? Considering what the factory gets for the old style unheated ones (even some of the aftermarket prices for the old style unheated ones) I think $120 is a bargain. (More than I'd want to pay, of course, but I lot less than I would expect to pay.)

They are $129 there at 4wd, tenafly jeep has them for $130 driver and $132 passenger side. Gotta figure 4wd is gonna wack me for shipping, jeep dealer in nj is only 20 min past my network infrastructure supplier, need more plugmold and cable for stock and I'm in the mood for some Rutts Hutt hotdogs anyway....
maybe next week...

RichP said:
I'm in the mood for some Rutts Hutt hotdogs anyway....
maybe next week...
Rutt's? Dang, that's right on top of where I work. Didn't realize you came this far east.

Rob

Just another option:
I was recently at a Jeep boneyard and picked up a heated XJ mirror with a broken mirror housing. Only the housing was broken but the glass was intact. The guy at the yard told me I could have it for free since it was broken and useless.
I removed the heated glass (with the attached wires) from its old broken housing and installed it into my existing housing. They are simplely glued into place.
This worked out great for me since I've had my housing previously painted and I did not want to replace them.

JEEPZZ said:
Just another option:
I was recently at a Jeep boneyard and picked up a heated XJ mirror with a broken mirror housing. Only the housing was broken but the glass was intact. The guy at the yard told me I could have it for free since it was broken and useless.
I removed the heated glass (with the attached wires) from its old broken housing and installed it into my existing housing. They are simplely glued into place.
This worked out great for me since I've had my housing previously painted and I did not want to replace them.
How did you go about removing the glass intact from the mount? Seems to me I've read that heat softens the adhesive but I'd like some confirmation before I take a heat gun to my mirrors.

Rob Mayercik said:
Rutt's? Dang, that's right on top of where I work. Didn't realize you came this far east.

Rob

Heck, I'm a jersey boy from Randolph and only live 62 miles from there, still have family there, mother in law's in Mt Freedom and sister is in Rockaway. I'm in Denville every couple of weeks at lashen electronics where I buy my network hardware and cable from and we shop at Picatinnay arsenal's commissary. We go to newark's ironbound section every once in a while for dinner, biggest variety of different nationality of foods I have ever seen also probably the safest area in NJ, the locals have this tradition of dropping cobble stones, on robbers and muggers, from second and third floor windows :D, not a place to rob a liquor store for sure. Main reason I got an easy pass, got tired of the toll lines at the delaware water gap...

RichP said:
Heck, I'm a jersey boy from Randolph and only live 62 miles from there, still have family there, mother in law's in Mt Freedom and sister is in Rockaway. I'm in Denville every couple of weeks at lashen electronics where I buy my network hardware and cable from and we shop at Picatinnay arsenal's commissary. We go to newark's ironbound section every once in a while for dinner, biggest variety of different nationality of foods I have ever seen also probably the safest area in NJ, the locals have this tradition of dropping cobble stones, on robbers and muggers, from second and third floor windows :D, not a place to rob a liquor store for sure. Main reason I got an easy pass, got tired of the toll lines at the delaware water gap...
Amen on the EZ-Pass - I surrendered a year ago when I ran out of tokens for the GSP... it truly is the only way to toll.

I know what you mean about the Ironbound - My dad had grandparents there years ago - the only Slovak couple in the neighborhood at the time. They got on fine with everyone, and I remember my dad saying that the Ironbound was the only part of Newark untouched by the riots, seeing as neighborhood security back then was a "family affair", if you know what I mean. :D

Anyhow, I remember you saying before you were originally from NJ (BTW, loved that "you know you're from Jersey IF..." list you posted a while back - so much truth there), but didn't realize you happened by this particular neck of the woods. Rutt's is literally under a mile from where I work (which is right next to the Clifton Commons), so seeing the name caught my eye.

Now, to keep the thread on topic, here's a thought for retrofitting your existing mirrors for heat.

Radio Shack has resistance wire, and I have seen a post somewhere on one of the VW boards I frequent (either TDIClub or the Vortex) where someone installed that on his mirrors when the factory heating elements burned out. I'll take a look and see if I can find the thread later (TDIClub's search is currently down for performance reasons). I don't see why this sort of rebuild couldn't be adapted to an XJ...

Rob

Eagle said:
How did you go about removing the glass intact from the mount? Seems to me I've read that heat softens the adhesive but I'd like some confirmation before I take a heat gun to my mirrors.
I'm sure a heat gun would help but mine popped off with using heat.
I used a small flat screwdriver and pryed the mirror away from its mount. It really feels like the mirror will break so pry slowly.
I used a yellow 3M weatherstrip adhesive to re-attach the new mirror. (better known as gorilla snot to mechanics) :D

Back