• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford F100

JungleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what front axles the Ford F100 ran? Not sure of the year of the truck but it was an ambulance. The F100 is very rare in our neck of the woods while junkyard hopping I managed to find one. Would it be the D44?

Thanks

Do these have the full length axle tube or is it the cast in radius arm mount?

AARON

I once pulled a HP D44 from a 77 F100. in the late 70s you start getting the ones with cast wedges (worse), I've heard it changed mid 77. If you go much older than 77 you get into drum brakes, closed knuckles, and low pinions. If you're going to use the Ford style radius arms it doesn't matter if yours has the cast wedges, but if you're doing something custom you'll want welded wedges. switching from drum brakes to discs isn't a very big deal.

65' was the last year for just drums, 66'-71' saw discs, but not as a standard option. Like Brett said switching over isn't that hard, and I went to 8 lug anyways. Any F100 or F150 from 1968-1979 will have a HP44. If you find one that isn't, take a pic of the axle and BOM number because Mr. N will give you 20 bucks. That should be enough to get you started.

Back