• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual Tranny Fluid

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Did a search for " Transmission Fluid " didnt get anything so here goes

Got 220000 on the ticker and i checked my tranny fluid an its kinda low and a very dull brown so I bet its never been changed. So i went and looked in the good ol haynes manual an it says " Look On Dipstick " well last time i checked theres no Manual Tranny dipstick unless there referring to the engine dipstick. Then Chiltons says SAE 75W-90 and im not a big fan of chiltons so I always like to double check there specs. Anyways what do you guys put in your manual transmissions.

Peugot BA-10 5 spd

TORX

The BA10/5 takes conventional gear lube, SAE 75W90, grade API GL-5.

There has been a lot of confusion because of reports that GL-5 attacks the brass in synchronizers, and the fact that mid-way through the period of the AX-15 5-speed Jeep changed the recommendation on what to use in that box. However, they have apparaently not changed the recommendation for the BA10/5.

Do NOT use the new Pennzoil Synchromesh fluid that comes in the yellow bottles from the parts chains. If you read the label, it has NO GL rating and NO viscosity index rating. I called Pennzoil and spoke with an engineer at some length. Bottom line -- that lube is only for the NVG3550 and NVG4500 series transmissions.

Alright i will get some SAE 75W90 with API GL-5

Is there any type of special gear oil i can add to kinda stabilize it or maybie some type " tranny flush " with that many miles i can only imagne the condition of the tranny

TORX

TORX said:
Alright i will get some SAE 75W90 with API GL-5

Is there any type of special gear oil i can add to kinda stabilize it or maybie some type " tranny flush " with that many miles i can only imagne the condition of the tranny

TORX

Stabilize what? Good quality gear oil that meets all requirements shouldn't need additives.
As far as a 'tranny flush', why fix someting that's not broken? Replace the fluid. Inspect it in a few thousand miles. If the fluid is contaminated, replace it. $.02.

Ron

I use a small amount of molydenum additive. Run a Google on the term <Mr. Moly> and you'll come up with a company in Canada that distributes the stuff in end user sized packages. They offer a molydenum disulphide compoundf for manual gear boxes and I've had that in my BA 10/5 for more years than I can remember, with no apparent harm. However, if you're nervous about the sulphide component and the brass, the auto transmission juice has the moly without the sulphide and is recommended for automatic trannies, limited slip diffs, and manual trannies where brass erosion is a factor.

Back