• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best lift for 33"...

Stonycar

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm up for my first mods on my 99 XJ. I want 33" MT/Rs but I'm not sur about the height my suspension should be lifted. Is 4.5" would be enough with fender trimming ? Or higher would be better? Consider that I don't want to much lift because i'm using it as a daily driver ... Thanks a lot

4.5" with trimming will fit depending on your backspace. RE6130 (plenty of recent threads dicussing parts to swap in that install) or the 5.5" will fit.

I have been pleased with my RE 5.5 XJLA, but I belive that the 4.5 is upgradable if you want less lift now and opportunity to go bigger in the future. My wife struggles a tiny bit to get in when she is in a skirt or a dress but other than that no probs. My rig runs great on the street and is super fun off road.

outfitterguy said:
IMy wife struggles a tiny bit to get in when she is in a skirt or a dress
Thats what makes it fun :greensmok
Most people use 4.5 or 5.5'' lifts. As long as you don't mind adding bump stops and some cutting the 4.5 will work. Thats what I have now and I love it. I have no complaints as it is a perfect hight for me (and my gfs) and I have 32s right now. I am going up to 33s as soon as my 32s wear down.

For 33's, I would highly recommend going with the RE 3.5" kit, with 3/4" spacers to help level out the front with the rear, JKS discos and JKS adjustable trackbar, extended brakelines, Old Man Emu shocks, fender trimming and proper bumpstops, and a SYE/CV driveshaft is really needed to finish things right. Luckily, with a 99, the RE hack and tap SYE is cheap and a great kit. The RE 5.5" kit is great as well, but IMO, overkill for anything less than 35's. You can get the 3.5" kit with everything I listed (SYE/CV included) for around the same price as an RE 5.5" kit with shocks (without SYE/CV). that 3.5" kit rides great, and will sit you at about 5". Keep your center of gravity low and your ride quality great. Here are some before and after pictures of a kids XJ that I did the exact 3.5" setup with fender trimming, bumpstops, and 33" tires on 15x8" rims with 3.5" backspacing. Also, here are some links from my Tech Section of my website on fender trimming and bumpstops:

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/Adjusting_Bumpstops.htm

GCXJ1.JPG

100_0328.jpg

i would go with a 4.5 or 5.5 inch kit, this way you will be utilizing your suspension. adding a crap load of bump stops kind of defeats the purpose of a lift. you want the rig to articulate over obstacles, bumpstops will limit that. its your call, if money is an issue, or there is another limiting factor do what you can, but if you are able to buy a 4.5 or 5.5 inch kit it would work the best with 33's and you will always be able to go to bigger tires in the future with more trimming.

Etan Miller

GottaBeJeep said:
For 33's, I would highly recommend going with the RE 3.5" kit, with 3/4" spacers to help level out the front with the rear

Well I had 3.5 and 3.5 was tight. My tires rubbed up top (even with MJ shackle in the rear). ANyways from the looks of the 4.5" that I put on, once it settles it will be a nice setup, but 3.5" will limit your uptravel by using your tires as bumpstops (and those that have seen my front on the white XJ know it's been GUTTED and it still rubbed)

I think you are confusing lift and travel. Yes at a point you need more lift to add travel but many huge trucks do not have as much travel as something well designed and lower. The reason for lift is to fit bigger tires. It is the tire size which makes the most diffrence, because it dictates the clearance of the lowest part on the jeep (the diff), like everything there is a extreme where this is not true.

I plan to run ~4.5" of total lift for 33x9.5's (better in the snow then 12.4's)

etaniyani said:
i would go with a 4.5 or 5.5 inch kit, this way you will be utilizing your suspension. adding a crap load of bump stops kind of defeats the purpose of a lift. you want the rig to articulate over obstacles, bumpstops will limit that. its your call, if money is an issue, or there is another limiting factor do what you can, but if you are able to buy a 4.5 or 5.5 inch kit it would work the best with 33's and you will always be able to go to bigger tires in the future with more trimming.

Etan Miller

mcstiff the reason for a lift is to fit bigger tires, which increases ground clearance like you said, but another reason is to create more clearance between the tire and fender and gaining the maximum travel you can. more travel allows you to keep the tires on the ground for more traction, which is a must if you dont have some sort of locking differential. like you stated, you are running ~4.5 inches of lift with 33's, this is an optimum setup, it allows you to run bigger tires (33's) and still have room to flex. your lift and tire combo also depends on what type of terrain you plan on tackling.

Etan Miller

Right. Think of it as a graph with, opposing, decending and asending lines (X). One for lift height the other for tire size. It would be dumb to run really small tires with a huge lift (and visa versa) because you would max out your travel before you tires come close to anything. Everyone asks "How much lift for X" tire?" but the real question is "How much tire for X" of lift?" ;) Pick the lift you can afford and buy tires for it.

i have the re 5.5 and 33's rub a bit . had to cut the front lower half of the front fender and cut of the bottom half of the rear fender flare on the back side. then bashed the hell out of it with a 3 lb sledge on the trail

my 4.5" RE kit with a 3/4" spacer gives me a level (sort of) 5.5".. i cut my fender and still rub my 33s when i stuff them... i would use extended upper bumpstops if i cared a lil more about the rig.. i need to remove another 1" of fender but i rub my upper shocktowers already.. i will take the better flex over limiting travle on a trail rig any day.... if i put the same lift in my daily driver i would run 32s so i wouldnt have the same issues..

standard

damn, I gotta make a trip to mass!

you need more fender adjusting there Mike... I can already see what it needs :firedevil

and best setup for 33's?

lift height DOESN'T MATTER.

proper trimming/sheetmetal mods (too important to cut, beat it out of the way with a bigger hammer), shock length and bumpstop height are what matters.

bumpstops should only be used to protect the shock from bottoming out, nothing more.

and I don't give a crap if you have 3" lift or 6" of lift, the tire will stuff into the same spot lifted as it does stock.

there are ONLY two ways to fit bigger tires: cutting and bumpstops.

pick your height, pick your shock length, pick your tire size, cut to fit. it is really THAT simple.

and lower is better

By now I would imagine there has to be a chart or post somewhere listing the best combos people have discovered through trial and error? A list of what to use to get best travel/stuff out of 33's. Lift, shocks, bump stop size, amount and areas of trimming, etc. I know there are many different opinions about the various lifts, etc. but how about a listing that newbies can at least pick through to help figure it out?
Search button here I come!

Back