• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at a RE6200 5.5" XJ Extreme Duty lift - Options??

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Vehicle to be lifted:
1987 XJ Laredo, AW4, NP242, D44, 3.55 completly stock.
I plan to drive this thing from NY to Moab once a year until I am too old to do it anymore, so it has to have good highway manors.

I have just about decided I am going with the RE6200 5.5" XJ Extreme Duty full kit. I am going to stay away from the RE6300 5.5" XJLA, based on what I read here last week. In my numerous searches here, I have read about recommendations people have made for substituting various parts in other RE kits.

At the time I install the lift, I also plan on:
32" ATs
D30 ARB, 4.56
D44 Detroit 4.56

Does anybody sees any weakness with this kit as it is shipped that I should specify substitute pieces now for?

I have another 87 XJ with the NP231 that I may install in this vehicle next year.
TIA

I luv their springs,but at that height I would recommend something other than Drop-brackets!Consider Mid-arms,Long-arms, or the Full-traction set-up!I got rid of my RE6200 and my buddy(the new owner) still bitches about it!
This FlexyJoe's
171704557MBxTHb_ph.jpg

Last edited:
I love my kit. Relatively easy to install, and it performs well. I got the RE shocks with mine, they are ok, but you may be able to do better there.

I think if you stick with all RE, you can't go wrong.

--ron

I have had my kit on for about a year and a half. Its works really well both on and offroad. Up until 3 months ago it was a daily driver and it road better than my previous 3" kit. Don't know why everyone hates the short arm kit with drop brackets they work great. The only thing you might want to upgrade the fixed arms to adjustible ones. I stuck with the fixed ones and have had one spring up front with a bow in it since i installed the kit, oh well. Never had death wobble or bump steer with it. Off road the only thing that bothered me was that if you came down a large steep ledge it would hit the drop brackets, but they are made out of thick metal so im sure they can take it. just my .02

I agree with the disco upgrade to JKS, control arms to adjustable, and OME shocks are definately a great upgrade. Absolutely nothing wrong with the short arms and drop brackets. I have this kit on both my XJ's, and love it. I do suggest since you are planning to regear, definately get something bigger than 32's. If you want to wheel, expecially Moab, you will have to trim, so might as well trim and get bigger tires. You can easily run 35's with this kit. Heck, I'm running 37" MT/R's on one of my XJ's with this kit, no extra spacers or anything. It's all about the trimming and the bumpstops. Check out the tech section of my website for writeups on trimming and adjusting your bumpstops: www.rocklizardfabrications.com

If you want to run 32's, I would suggest getting the RE 3.5" kit with adjustable JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME shocks, 3/4" front coil spacer, and some YJ brakelines. 33's will fit on the RE 3.5" kit. RE kits run tall.

i agree with fullsize. the drop brackets are plenty strong, takes away the steep angles in the control arms, and costs less. no need to spend the extra $$, and the RE long arm kit eliminates the option of rocker guards, unless you modify them. i would also upgrade to jks.

Yet another that agrees with Fullsize, the RE6200 is a good all around bolt on kit. The drop brackets ride great on the road a perform fine offroad. The reinforcement brackets are made to take some abuse.

Just my opinion but I think long arms are way overated, here is mine with the drop brackets and adjustable upper and lower superflex arms
1337444-flex.jpeg

They do not get in the way ,they mount to your exiting mounts with the exception of the support brace that runs under the frame rail to the trans crossmember mounting bolts

MoFo said:
Vehicle to be lifted:
1987 XJ Laredo, AW4, NP242, D44, 3.55 completly stock.
I plan to drive this thing from NY to Moab once a year until I am too old to do it anymore, so it has to have good highway manors.

I have just about decided I am going with the RE6200 5.5" XJ Extreme Duty full kit. I am going to stay away from the RE6300 5.5" XJLA, based on what I read here last week. In my numerous searches here, I have read about recommendations people have made for substituting various parts in other RE kits.

At the time I install the lift, I also plan on:
32" ATs
D30 ARB, 4.56
D44 Detroit 4.56

Does anybody sees any weakness with this kit as it is shipped that I should specify substitute pieces now for?

I have another 87 XJ with the NP231 that I may install in this vehicle next year.
TIA

The kit as it is shipped is a great bolt on kit, your spending some $$$ might as well do the NP231 with a HD SYE and driveshaft. Or I think the JB Conversions makes a NP242 HD SYE. :thumbup:

I have this lift with JKS Disco's, JKS UCA's and LCA's and OME shocks. It's a great setup. I ran MOAB this year with 32" MTR's no problem. I say go for it. You won't be disappointed.

Brad

Fullsize, thats some OK flex, I've seen better. :dunce:
I agree on the long arm systems. They are way over rated. My short arms flex almost as much as my friends ZJ with the 5.5'' RE. And he has coils all around.

As for the lift, thats a good, proven lift that will last a while. I have the RE quick discos, and they work well. Sure they are not the best, but the work.

Back