• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What offroad lights?

Diablito

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to mount some offroad lights on my Kargo Master roof rack. I don't do any fast driving offraod at night so I figure I can get away with a lower powered light. I was looking at the Procomp 55w thin light, its real cheap and comes with the switch. But is it anygood? will 55w cut it for 25mph or slower offroad in the dark? :skull1:

whats cheap? a lot of people just run the wal-mart lights. i have the 4" and 5" round ones , two of each and it is plenty of light. they go for between 10-20$

I have to gripe about the walmart lights is they rust too easily and I don't like how the wires come out of the bottom.Alittle paint or clear coat will cure that(rust).The photometrics on one of mine seems a little off,but what more can you ask for?For 17.95 I look at them as disposable!!

I have 2 of the Wally-worlds, but yesterday I was there and noticed some cool offroaders 100 watt with a "glow" ring around em. It was basically a parking light effect around the outside. Must be two switches. they were about $20each.

just make sure to use the proper fluid.

Ramsey said:
just make sure to use the proper fluid.
Do they carry it at Napa? Or do I have to special order it? :D
I tried looking for the Walmart lights, but couldn't find them. Are there different Walmarts that have them?

all the ones around here have em, you did look in the auto section huh? i have had the round ones from them and some rectangular ones, and the rectangular ones were not near as bright.

look in the cherokee section of jeepforum.com for wallmart light mod you'll find plenty!!

I like the Hella 500s. They are like $60 or $70 for a pair with all the wiring and are pretty rugged with no metal to rust. I've paid $100 for SRBs Chrome and black and they rusted really fast. The Hellas are an awesome light for a reasonable price.
But I'd agree with a lot of guys here. For a roof rack and no protection for the lights I'd go with Wally's since you are sure to destroy one or two on branches. I'm going to build a rack with built in protection for the lights so i can get the better ones and expect them to last.

I did some Hellas and Procomps over some time and they did not tend to last to long. I have some plastic ones from walmart. They are cheap they light up the area and they still work. So I would say save your money and go with the walmart ones.

Hella 4000's get a set of the HID pencil's and normal. You'll be set.

langer1 said:

Yup, I'll second these. They don't come with a relay but do come with a switch and plenty of wire. Hard plastic housing so no rust issues, not sure if it is ABS plastic but it is plenty hard. Glass lens, decent plastic screen guards, they look decent, 100 watts, plenty bright. I would have been happy with mine even if they were like $50 or so. Being less than $20 is just an added bonus.

xjafterdropbracket02.jpg

I've run Hella 500s, fog and driving, for 3 years now without a problem.

Back