• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upcountry ID

Jeepenstein

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Ya'll, I usually haunt the early CJ5 forum however I also have a 96 XJ and I am in search of another one. I have found quite a few however I want another one with the upcountry package, mostly cuz of the limited slip rear, now for the question, what is the best way to ID these at a glance, the VIN is useless in that respect and the only thing I can think of is the skidplates.. any other ideas??

BUBBA

Jeepenstein said:
Hey Ya'll, I usually haunt the early CJ5 forum however I also have a 96 XJ and I am in search of another one. I have found quite a few however I want another one with the upcountry package, mostly cuz of the limited slip rear, now for the question, what is the best way to ID these at a glance, the VIN is useless in that respect and the only thing I can think of is the skidplates.. any other ideas??

BUBBA

Some UC ones have stickers on them (mine did) and they will also have front, tcase and tank skids with front and rear towhooks (no rear if you got a hitch). Also they will have a full size spare. Unfortunately those options could be purchased separately so they do not guarantee the LS. Anyways, to test for the LS jack it up in the rear so the two wheels don't touch the ground and turn one and see what the other one does..... otherwise then that, get a vin and have the dealer run a build sheet for you.

Kejtar said:
Anyways, to test for the LS jack it up in the rear so the two wheels don't touch the ground and turn one and see what the other one does.....

In addition to that, if they spin the same direction its LS, if they spin opposite its open.

Yeah I got that one.. jacking it up was what I was trying to avoid, they kinda look at ya funny when you ask to borrow a jack at a car dealer! haha.. I got lucky with my 96 XJ, it had the LS in it and it was a 5 speed up country.. it has been a tank and I love it, hence the reason I am looking for a second one to travel with (I travel a lot for work). If I get another one I will have a jeep hat trick.. my 66 CJ my 96 XJ and whatever I get for the third..

BUBBA

Back