• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tools Needed

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Going to be changing my front and rear springs soon, doing an AAL and new shocks.
Besides PB Blaster, and good breaker bars, what specialty tools do I need? I have jack stands and hydraulic extended jack too.

Do I need anything bigger than 1/2 sockets?? What are the common bolt sizes?

I know a torque wrench is a necessity as well.

Lots of you have done the upgrades, any help for a NEWB?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

get a strut compressor for the front if your not going to just drop the axle down and get the coils out.

Ramsey said:
get a strut compressor for the front if your not going to just drop the axle down and get the coils out.

yeah. those strut compressors are VERY important !! :laugh: :roflmao:

no need for spring compressors in the front, just do one side at a time and remove the control arms and you will have plenty of motion to pull the coil out.

Rocketman said:
Going to be changing rear springs soon, doing an AAL...

Lots of you have done the upgrades, any help for a NEWB?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

don't do the AAL unless its a full length AAL. I'd go with a whole spring pack if you got da $.

I would search. This has been covered a lot.
That said, there are several different sizes that you will need. Some will be metric, and some SAE. It gets to be very annoying to have to switch between the two.
Above all, just remember to be safe and to use common sence.

Take it over to bezil's and let him do it :D Power blast that thing for a week ahead of time, prepare for broken bolts/weld nut in the front leaf spring mounts and have an appropriate hole saw to open the floor up under the rear seat.
Have a wrenching party, some steaks, beers, couple of dancers :D
For the front you can jack stand the jeep on the frame rails, remove the front tires/wheels, remove the shocks. This will almost allow the springs to fall out, then go on the opposite side and put the floor jack under the axle and jack it up a bit, the opposite spring will fall out, install the new spring move the jack to the other side and repeat.

The most used socket you will need is a 13/16th's Spark Plug socket workes flawlessly.. for the rear sprring eye bolts (front/rear) it will also loosen the LCA to drop the axle to remove and insert the coils.

Bets to use Full leaf packs but if you are putting in a AAL make sure it is full length.

you don't need to remove the rear springs for an AAL. Just have some 4 or 6 inch c-clamps (you'll need 2) and remove the u-bolts and take the packs apart and slap 'em back togeather with the AAL. It's a good idea to get new U-bolts.

About a day or two before you do the install, get a water hose and blast off as much mud, crude and road grime as you can. A come along may be usefull on the AAL getting things lined up again.

Back