• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5"/Full Leafs, What degree shim is best?

Degree Shim with RE3.5/full leafs, TC Drop?

• Total voters

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
Poll above should read with NO TC Drop. I want to remove it and use shims and a new drive shaft.

I found no difference (driveline vibes) with my T-Case drop. :gonnablow Aside from a leak at the front driveshaft seal. :doh:

By searching it appears that 4* or 6* is the norm.
What size should I be looking at getting?
Steel or Alloy? Does it matter? I'm no hard core off roader by any means. :D

My understanding is I will need a new centre pin? Will I need to replace my U-Bolts also?

Last edited:
What year is your Heep?
What rear axle?
What is your measurement, in inches, from hub center to the bottom of the flare on each wheel.
I run about 4.5" of lift with an SYE, and my 1.5" shackle puts the pinion at exactly -1*.
Without a magnet mount angle finder, you are in for a load of trial and error.
Jeeps=Snowflakes.
Find me 2 that measure the same in all aspects and I will quit my job and become the fluffer at the donkey show in TJ.
HTH.

bgcntry72 said:
Find me 2 that measure the same in all aspects and I will quit my job and become the fluffer at the donkey show in TJ.
HTH.

i now have a new goal in life(to find two , not be the fluffer you sick people)

bgcntry72 said:
HTH.

I think he's right on the money!Never seen 2 yet that came out the same and thats even after "handing" down the kits!

Last edited:
bgcntry72 said:
What year is your Heep?
What rear axle?
What is your measurement, in inches, from hub center to the bottom of the flare on each wheel.
I run about 4.5" of lift with an SYE, and my 1.5" shackle puts the pinion at exactly -1*.
Without a magnet mount angle finder, you are in for a load of trial and error.
Jeeps=Snowflakes.
HTH.

XJ91 (My Handle)
D35C
Rear = 21 3/4"
Front = 22"
Still have the original shackles, no magnetic angle finder.

I am wondering also the degree of shim to put in the rear with a 3" lift on a 44 rear.
It is a '87 Limited

I am looking for the rest of the set-up using Dakota leafs, on rear and F-150
front springs.

Thank you Guys,
WVridgerunner

WVridgerunner said:
I am wondering also the degree of shim to put in the rear with a 3" lift on a 44 rear.
It is a '87 Limited

I am looking for the rest of the set-up using Dakota leafs, on rear and F-150
front springs.

Thank you Guys,
WVridgerunner

with 3" lift you should Not have to shim, just a 1" t-case drop

XJ91 said:
Poll above should read with NO TC Drop. I want to remove it and use shims and a new drive shaft.

I found no difference (driveline vibes) with my T-Case drop. :gonnablow Aside from a leak at the front driveshaft seal. :doh:

By searching it appears that 4* or 6* is the norm.
What else are you running? 231 or 242? I've got RE 3.5 SF system and no shims on my '89. No vibes or other problems. Other than the system I haven't done anything to the suspension except work it out in the woods.

I sit a bit lower with the weight of the bumpers, winch, tire carrier etc, but even before they went on I had no problems requiring either a TC drop or shims.

XJ91 said:
My understanding is I will need a new centre pin? Will I need to replace my U-Bolts also?
If your u-bolts are long enough you souldn't need to repalce them. The centerpin is up inthe air. Depends on the shim thickness and the ability of the current pin to pass thru and still engage solidly in the spring pad on the axle.

He probably will be happy that someone finally left him an answer... seeing how this is from 2006

2004 for the OP, and for anyone reading this in the future... not a good poll to start. (n)

There really is no answer to this question other than to measure your own individual set up and figure it out for yourself. Just WAY too many variables involved. You could give a guestimate, but it's going to be just that, a guess...

Back