• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front tow points.....

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
which is better, Rusty's tow hooks or the front receiver/tow hitch?

techno1154 said:
which is better, Rusty's tow hooks or the front receiver/tow hitch?

It really depends on if you think you need/want the front rec. It is nice to have and you can mount a Warn multi-mount winch to it and then move it to the back if you have a rec back there as well. Just make sure you don't lose much ground clearance either way. The tow hooks should be cheaper, I think and that is what most people use so they can go with a bumper of their choice. Either would be nice, just make sure you get a 2" rec hitch mount.
Troy

I'm ordering a rigidco front bumper for mine when I get back from vacation so I will have a set of front factory hooks as well as a rear bracket and hook for sale. I put a tomken rear bumper w/receiver built in over a month ago and it works great. I was going to get the tomken front too but I want something a bit snazzier for the nose...

I have the Tomkin Machine front tow hooks and am happy with them. I wasn't aware that Rustys offers them as well. I saw his sick orange XJ when I was at PA Jeeps show last month in York PA.

Save yourself the trouble and get a front bumper! The front tow points are not that great for your XJ, as BskisXJ posted that article - and if you are lifted - or plan on being the front hitch will not be compatable with some parts unless you modify.

I agree that a strong bumper is the way to go, I am looking at the Rigid one. But as for the budget, it will be after the tires and such. So my opinion goes to a Reese hitch. The hitch will tie the "frame" rails together and help to distribute the pulling forces. At under $100 its cheap insurance on the trail.
I also like the idea of a D-ring in leu of a Hook.

Thanks all. I would idealy like a winch bumber but the budget do not allow it at this time. I will go with the receiver hitch until the piggy bank is refunded. :thumbup:

Can you use the Draw-Tite front hitch with the factory front skid or is there interference issues? How/where does the hitch attach to the 'frame rails'?

Thanks.

StevePSD said:
Can you use the Draw-Tite front hitch with the factory front skid or is there interference issues? How/where does the hitch attach to the 'frame rails'?

Thanks.
No ,you have to ditch the front skid.Hitch bolts on with 6 bolts,it uses the 4 bolts that the sway bar bushings mount with and 1 drilled in the end of each frame rail.
IIRC some one did modify the skid to bolt up but I don,t know who?
Wayne

i have both the hidden hich and the draw tite... to compare the two i would say the draw tite is a better hitch.. i had my hidden hitch modified to increase ground clearance, we cut the box off the bottom of the cross beam and "boxed" it inside the beam and plated it above and below... the hidden has a larger frame and i will be having a steel plate welded to it to "box" it in to replace the skid plate you cant run... i have more confidence in the mounting of the draw tite though... here is something to keep in mind though.. when i bought my draw tite 6 months ago i was told by the hitch shop owner that BOTH draw tite AND hidden hitch were bought out by a common larger company... i would expect them to be evaluating their product lines for duplication and cost-effectiveness as the need arises for manufacturing runs so i would say they will likely eliminate one of the designs... so if you are intending to buy a draw tite make sure you get a firm "yes" or "no" about where the reciever box is located (inside the cross beam or below it) and make your purchase based on that answer.. i had the parts guy call 4 supplier warehouses to get a firm "yes" that i was in fact going to get the proper draw tite hitch for my $136...... not sure where the $99 quote came from on the write-up because the retail is consderably different between the two items.... i will always chose a receiver for the front of my XJ because i just dont like the whole tow hook/bracket set-up...

mike

anyone use their winch hook as a tow point?

Personally I wouldn't use my winch hook for any sort of jerking, a slow steady pull would be fine im sure but if your doing that why not just use the winch.

Back