• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does this bolt do?

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
When I was putting in my new idler pulley(which stopped the damn noise :D ) I think I found the source of my oil leak. I originally thought my oil pan gasket was leaking as it was collecting there right below my crank pulley. When I got my idler pulley out I noticed a bolt below it to the left of the water pump that was glistening. I looked and there was a trail of where oil came down from that to my oil pan gasket. As well the bolt had drips of oil on it. Is this my timing belt cover bolt?!? I tried tightening it but it was already snug, any ideas? And this is a 1992 Cherokee with a 4.0L.

Thanks,
Kevin

It might be your oil pan gasket. Is the leak at one of the front corners? That's where they tend to leak...where the oil pan bolts into the bottom of the timing belt cover.

Steve

I have the same problem. In my case, I might have damaged the seal while installing the damper. Anyone know if the gasket can be removed without taking off the timing cover?

I was told there is a spacer washer available at the auto parts store that is supposed to stop the leak - fits over the crankshaft and is compressed by the damper. Anyone have success using this?

Steve it's not one of the lower bolts, it's the upper one up by the water pump. I think I may swing by Napa tomorrow and see what they say :p

Thanks,
Kevin

lumberxj89 said:
I have the same problem. In my case, I might have damaged the seal while installing the damper. Anyone know if the gasket can be removed without taking off the timing cover?

I was told there is a spacer washer available at the auto parts store that is supposed to stop the leak - fits over the crankshaft and is compressed by the damper. Anyone have success using this?
Temp hijack!!!!

I've done this with two vehicles and it works very well. I even did it on my new harmonic damper by accident (got the wrong part) BTW the sleeve as it's called goes on your harmonic damper. you get a sleeve, some thread lock and a new seal. AZ sells it as a kit. It's to be used if your HD is good but is scored. works well and I have the only jeep which doesn't leak oil for the moment!!! HA HA

Back