• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air filter

Blackash132

NAXJA Forum User
so i;m wanting to replace my airfilter with a k&N filter or the FIPK kit but i'm afraid if I go through a creek it would get too wet if I got the FIPK kit. should I buy/fab a snorkel? thanks

if you can swing a snorkel, i'd do it. i made up a custom intake, up as far in the engine compartment as i could get it, and i still almost swamped it, in about 3 feet of h20.

Have you ever gone into water hood height before?
The thing is, even if you have a snorkle there is still a lot of electronic stuff under the hood that isn't really supposed to get wet. There is a lot more stuff to do before you can go through water that deep.
That said, it is really up to you. I have a K&N on mine and it works fine. Thats what I would recomend for right now. If you find that you are getting to close to the water, then you could add a snorkle later. As an added thought, a snorkle is forced air/ cold air system. So it would add horsepower.

well, there is a few creeks that i have gone through and sometimes water gets high...killed 2 toyota's while hunting a few years back. It's a 2000 so there isn't a distributor so i don't need to cover that. I don't want the jeep waterproof but the cool air from the snorkel sounds really good since it's a daily driver ntm more hp.

Also does anyone have pics of the washer fluid relocation tank? where does it go? thanks:dunno:

backlash check out my thread on the costom cowl intake i have a 2000 and planning on doing this today i wil take pics and report back to it as i finish

do some searching there is plenty of write ups and pics of all you need, including plenty of fabbed up snorkels

through the searching i have been doing i found the airflow snorkel, looked on GOJEEP's site and really like that snorkel but can't find it for sale anywhere... does anyone know where I can buy an airflow snorkel? thanks

I just replaced my Rusty's Air Tube with a home brew snorkel. It's not a matter of hp or if it gets too wet and stalls for me. I've been running this setup for ~3 years and I'm sick of cleaning the filter after "every" time I go off-roading. It gets so dirty/muddy that I'm just replacing it.

I made mine out of ~$15 of parts from Home Depot and a K&N flat filter for the stock airbox. I will find out how well it works tomorrow after the calk dries fully. It sucks air from right below the window (high pressure area). I may lose some performance but 1-2hp isn't really bad when the PITA factor is considered. Hell, since I didn't have a heat shield it may be better getting that cold air.

Later,
Rough

Back