• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Front Driveshaft Limitaitions

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on lifting to 7 inches soon. I know what i have to do with the rear but I never hear anything about the front driveshaft. Is the stock driveshaft okay at this much lift?

It depends on your suspension geometry... not a simple yes or no question.

I guess I am more concerned with the skip yoke on the driveshaft. Does it have enough travel?

Generally yes, but depending on the arc that your front axle swings through (different from short arms to long arms,) it may compress fully before your suspension has reached full droop.

At that much lift you may run into problems where a caster setting to eliminate vibes in your front driveshaft will cause horrible steering feel. If that's the case cutting, turning, and rewelding your steering knuckles is the only real solution.

I am 8 inches with long arms and had no problems with caster at all but my front driveshaft wasent long enough.

the front shaft can handle the angles of a large lift just fine, and almost always has enough slip in it, but the length may or may not be correct, so you may need to get it re-tubed.

if your front shaft spins in 2wd (no disco or lockout hubs) then you may run into issues with getting both your pinion angle and caster angle right. the solution to this is cutting and turning your knuckles, it's not nearly as hard as I had gotten the impression, do a search here, on Pirate, and on Google for cut'n'turn info.

Well it looks like I'll have to do it and see. Thanks guys for the feedback.

Back