• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper fab issues

skipc

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked over the threads, and pics, on ARB and Warn and some other bumpers/bull bars, and heard the recommendations about grill guards being a bad thing, But I can't figure out how a grill guard might make things worse in an accident...

Anyhow, I'm gonna fab something on mine, but I'm not going to have as radical a requirement as some. I would like to build the best all around design for my use, without unnecessary risks in an accident, etc. It's for an 89 XJ (Laredo). Right now it's got the chrome bumpers and trim, which are it's only saving points according to the wife... :gag:

Anyway, I WAS thinking of a 2" sq 1/4" wall bar under the front behind the plastic trim mounted much like a hitch receiver bolt-on would with side plates up under the bumper mounts. On it, I would weld tow bar mounts, a 2" receiver, shackle and/or tow hook mounts, and weld on some more 2" sq bar out, bent up, across, and back down like what I've known as a bull bar (or maybe it's just a tubular grill guard). I will probably lift it no more than 2" in the future and will do trails and such, but not the big rocks.

I assume the alternative would be larger (what size) sq tube to REPLACE the bumper, right? That might run me into domestic trouble, and it's probably better, but is the original design so flawed it wont' work? The nice part is that I have the steel for the first one already and I dont' lose the Laredo trim.

Any ideas or comments?:helpme:

http://www.xjworld.4wdriver.com/lpbumper.html

bumper6.jpg

skipc said:
I assume the alternative would be larger (what size) sq tube to REPLACE the bumper, right?
I used (i think) 5in C-channel. I like how that came out. It was just the right height. You would make yours wider then mine.
I also fit my winch set back into the grill mounted on top of the bumper. It sticks out less then the factory bumper for better clearance.

download.php

Back