• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bias ply tires on a daily driver?

NotMatt

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, just got a quick question for those of you who might have more experience than I do. I currently have radial super swamper TSL's on my rig, so I'm used to a fairly shitty ride. I drive this rig pretty much just around town here to work/school and back, only a few miles a day, but I do occasionally make a few highway trips of about 60 miles round-trip, and will occasionally make longer trips to go wheeling.

I had one of my radial TSL's tread seperate on me, so I'm currently looking for another single radial TSL (BTW, if anyone's got 1 or 2 32x10.50 radial TSL's for sale, PM me!). However, I found a pretty smoking local deal on a set of five bias ply radial SX's in this size, so I'm wondering what everyone's experience is with riding on these tires in an XJ daily driver under the conditions above...

Good idea, bad idea? Will the ride be much worse than the radial TSL's, or will I even notice a difference? Some people have said that flat spots will be a problem with a bias ply tire, is this really that big of an issue or are people blowing things out of proportion? Anybody got any tips? Feel free to tell me I'm a dumbass if this is a dumbass idea. :)

No exageration. I drove a Humvee for a better part of last year. they are running Bias Good years. They flat spot terrible and take several miles to warm up and not wobble the crap out of the vehicle. i also have dealt with them on a F250, now that wasn't great, but they were durable. If you are worried about ride quality, stick with radials in my opinion.

no kidding, but then again its also freakin goodyear......i do NOT like goodyear at all. cost out the ass, but not that great

I think the flat spotting is overated. My buddy has 36 bias SX's and they where sitting for a good month before I drove his rig and the hadn't flat spotted. In cold weather they will flat spot a bit faster but only if they sit for a period of time, longer then a day. Your alkready used to the ride so I say go for it. They may wear a bit quicker but their swamper wears not really a high point. Bias should have stronger sidewalls.

I run P78 Buckshots, and only notice flatspotting on really cold mornings. Then the first mile or so can be rough, but they warm up and smooth out quickly.

I've been very happy with the ride, but my 89's a beast, and the tires are the least of the racket. If they were on a nice civilized '01 it might be different.

Robert

Nobody mentioned the issue of weight??

Radials and non radials will both flat spot on large heavy trucks. The colder, the longer they sit the worse they will flat spot.

Bias ply's will flat spot and ride more harsh than a radial of similar tread but on a light weight jeep that gets driven daily I personally do not think that there would be a Major difference (noticable, but not major).

Everyone will have a different opinion, but if a Bias ply is a better choice for your off road driving then I suspect you will be ok with a slightly less than steller daily driver tire.

Just my .02

That's about the size I had. I ran 32x11.5 bias tsl/sx for a while. They are durable as they come, but felt like I was driving over a washboard. The sound at 45mph is wonderfully similar to a wwII bomber. They flat-spooted daily, and this is in Va. During the winter they flat spotted way worse than summer. After maybe 5 mins of driving tops all smooths out. So I'd think if you don't often drive more than that you'll just have to get used to it. During the warmer times the flatspots would be barely noticeable. During the winter it'd feel like I lost some wheel weights or something. I drive more miles than you daily, so I noticed that they were wearing way faster than any tire I'd had on before (ask around, I've been through alot of different tires). I'm running Trxus Mts now. You might want to think about them, still have great sidewall thickness. But now I can hear my stereo again, and I don't get flatspots, and they handle a million times better on the road and are still a fantastic tire to take out into the wilderness.

Back