• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch replacement

Atl XJ

NAXJA Forum User
OKay, here's the deal. I'm leaving to go on a road trip on Friday and I'm replacing my faulty fan clutch tomorrow. Any tips to make it an easier install, I was looking at the front of my engine earlier and there is very little room to work with.

Any tips on how to get it out without having to remove too much?

Also, how does it come out? I saw some bolts on it, but my Haynes manual leaves a lot to be desired in this department.

Any help is appreciated since I have to do it in my apartment complex parking lot as inconspicuously as possible. I need to invest in a FSM along with a NAXJA membership when I get some cash flowing my way. Going back to school sucks .
TIA

Oh yeah, its a '95 4.0l/AW4. I picked up a faulty replacement fan clutch from Carquest and I'm just now getting around to swapping it out with another one.

it should be the 4 nuts that hold the fan to the pulley and loosen the shroud and remove them at the same time. then separate the blade from the clutch and install it on the new clutch facing the proper direction. then install the fan and the shroud at the same time.if it is too tight you may have to remove the top of the radiator core support.

Thanks I appreciate the response. I completed the job this afternoon, it was kind of a PITA with my 2 row radiator in there, but I got it in/out (very carefully) without messing with the radiator support.
Thanks again

One word! Gearwrench!

Back