• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I weld up a stock Trac-Lock limited slip?

NotMatt

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, my 87 has a D44 with stock trac-lock limited slip in it that is completely worn out. It's been a while since I changed the fluid in it, so I can't remember how it looks... so my question is this, I'd really like to weld the rear up. Can it be done with the trac-lock in there, or do I need to find an open carrier? What about replacing everything with a mini-spool? I guess I need to just pop the cover and look, but I don't want to do that until I'm ready to go for it.

Why not just replace the clutch packs in the limited slip. I like them when they are set up right. The clutch pack isn't all that much. Normally that will make it as good as new.

Mainly because I don't feel like spending any money on a limited slip. If I'm going to spend money then I'll get some kind of lunchbox locker. Welding is free if it can be done with the limited slip carrier.

Last time I checked a rebuild kit($65) for a trashloc is a lot cheaper than a lockright. Why ruin a perfectly good tracloc by welding it up.

Because trac-loc's are a POS. They burn up the clutch packs as you pull out of your driveway.

Eitherway, LSD's suck. weld it up or Detroit lock it.

Back