• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ -> Instrument Panel Malfunctioning

joey99jb

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so for the past couple months, especially in the winter-time, my instrument panel completely malfunctions. Sometimes my instrument panel doesn't work at all when I initially start the car and then after it warms up, the RPMS , gas, MPH...etc gauges come back to life and work well. Other times it will flicker between working and not working. This is livible but annoying because I have no idea, at some points, how fast I am going.

Particularly, my gas gauge is just messed up, everything else (most of the time) works and my gas gauge is going from full to empty to half full...its just all over the place and is completely unreliable. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of action and what they have done to correct it. I have a '98 XJ with about 60K miles.

Joey B

You have two seperate problems, I had both also. The gauge panel has two selfdocking plugs behind it, the plugs are hard mounted to the dashboard and are female, the male ends are mounted to the guage cluster. Quick fix is to pull the panel, clean the connectors, put some dielectric grease on them and reseat the gauge panel. I also 'tweaked' the pins a hair but be careful if you do this or they may bend when putting them back in. The dealer also has replacement plugs that they will gladly install for you for a price, your choice. My 98 came with idiot lights, last january I replaced that with a 97 gauge panel which works fine so far.
The second problem is the sender on the fuel pump, it gets messed up either from the fuel or just a crappy finish on it that breaks down. The only fix is a new fuel pump. Mine does it and has done it since about a couple of months after it went out from under warranty. I live with it and use the trip odometer, refilling the tank ~200 mi where it will take between 9 and 11 gallons.

these posts are to help you repair the jeeps correctly right?

as for the fuel gauge, in 98 there was a recall for the fuel sending unit float only not the pump. your jeep may qualify for the recall. just call a chrysler/jeep dealer and they can let you know if your jeep does. if not you can still replace the float yourself, it just snaps on to the side of the pump assembly.

as for the cluster itself. the connector behind the cluster on the right hand side, should be replaced. just cleaning the contacts only prolongs the innevitable. it will have to be replaced eventually, and for about $20 in parts you can replace the connector yourself. however the connector should be soldered. there is a reason the manufacturer issues new design parts, that is to correct a defect in the original design. you can take the cluster in and out as often as you want, but cleaning the contacts isnt repairing it, only patching it temporarily. why patch the problem and have to wonder how long it will last.

jneary said:

as for the fuel gauge, in 98 there was a recall for the fuel sending unit float only not the pump. your jeep may qualify for the recall. just call a chrysler/jeep dealer and they can let you know if your jeep does. if not you can still replace the float yourself, it just snaps on to the side of the pump assembly.

as for the cluster itself. the connector behind the cluster on the right hand side, should be replaced. just cleaning the contacts only prolongs the innevitable. it will have to be replaced eventually, and for about $20 in parts you can replace the connector yourself. however the connector should be soldered. there is a reason the manufacturer issues new design parts, that is to correct a defect in the original design. you can take the cluster in and out as often as you want, but cleaning the contacts isnt repairing it, only patching it temporarily. why patch the problem and have to wonder how long it will last.

Thanks for this advice, it is really useful
I don't think my jeep will qualify for a recall simply because it is modded so much and some dealerships in my area are weary of touching a modded jeep for liability reasons. So I am left to do it myself, which i enjoy anyway. Anytime with my XJ is good time. But yea, I am going to have to search extensively for pictures or detailed instructions on how to replace the floater thing. I was thinking of getting a new water pump, because thats what the dealer guy said was causing the malfunction, I'll have to think about that. Do you know if those connectors you refer to on the instrument panel are widely available? Would I be better off switching my cluster with one of a 99 or 2000 XJ that have them already installed?

Thanks for your advice

Joey B

any jeep dealer should have the connector for the cluster since it is a common problem.
as far as modificationsgo, a recall is a recall, it is a safety issue and for a dealer to deny you of that could lead them to a liability suit.
i dont see where a waterpump has any effect on any of these non related electrical problems. if you go into the dealer knowing what your talking about, they will give in. thats what these posts help with also. dont let them intimidate you.

Ha, your definitely right I am gullible to what the dealers say, need to work on that alot. I am definitely going to try your method with these two problems, hopefully I can get them resolved by next weekend and save myself $1K of money. I am gonna get my friend to help me with this because he knows cars alot more than I do. Just one more question. Do you know the "technical" names of the items that you have just described to me or will that just be enough. I want to find the right parts but maybe there is a more appropriate name for them. Thanks!!

Joey B

Is there an official recall page anywhere for proof? Dealerships around here don't like to give any handouts...=)

Joey B

jneary said:

One more question....

when you say pump assembly you mean fuel pump assembly right?

Just thought I'd say that my '98 cluster was acting up early in it's life. I was just out of warranty when it started of course. Anyway, I just cleaned the contacts and put it back together. I have always been wanting to do the job right but it has not acted up at all since then. It's been about 4 years since I've had any problems. Fixing it right would be the best way, but my fix was free and easy.

B-loose

the recall is for the fuel pump level sensor. and it just snaps onto the side of the fuel pump assembly itself.
also the instrument cluster repair connector.
you can check for recalls and tsb titles at alldata.com. if you subscribe to this web site it has further details of the recalls and tsb's as well as wiring diagrams etc. you can also look up labor times to see what each job pays so your not getting overcharged. that itself is worth the price of the subscription.

jneary said:
the recall is for the fuel pump level sensor. and it just snaps onto the side of the fuel pump assembly itself.

This may seem like a stupid question but here it goes anyways. To access the fuel level sensor you have to first gain access to the gas tank first, correct? Then you snap on the new sensor and wallah, hopefully everything works. This probably takes the better part of a day I can imagine.....ehhh. Well I save my self $600 for doing it so I guess its not that bad.

Joey B.

jneary said:
also the instrument cluster repair connector.
you can check for recalls and tsb titles at alldata.com. if you subscribe to this web site it has further details of the recalls and tsb's as well as wiring diagrams etc. you can also look up labor times to see what each job pays so your not getting overcharged. that itself is worth the price of the subscription.

When I lookup the alldata site the recalls that show up have nothing to do with the fuel sender or the cluster...

# 879 JUN 00 Recall - Front Brake Rotor Corrosion
# 860 MAY 00 Recall - Airbag Control Module Internal Corrosion
# 775 APR 98 Recall - Front Shoulder Belt Adjustable Anchors
# 764 MAR 98 Recall - Power Brake Booster

Where is the recall for the sender ??? There are a couple of items under the TSB but thats not a recall, right ???

RichP said:
When I lookup the alldata site the recalls that show up have nothing to do with the fuel sender or the cluster...

# 879 JUN 00 Recall - Front Brake Rotor Corrosion
# 860 MAY 00 Recall - Airbag Control Module Internal Corrosion
# 775 APR 98 Recall - Front Shoulder Belt Adjustable Anchors
# 764 MAR 98 Recall - Power Brake Booster

Where is the recall for the sender ??? There are a couple of items under the TSB but thats not a recall, right ???
i realize it looks like i was saying there was a recall for the instrument panel connector. i was just stating what to call it when he goes to the dealer to get the part.
having access to alldata, you should be aware of the proper procedure to repair the cluster since tsb's are listed too.

joey99jb, if for some reason you have to replace the float yourself, it takes about 1.5 hours to lower the tank and remove the fuel pump and replace the float. at least that what the warranty time is. personally we can do it in about 20 minutes on a lift.

jneary said:
i realize it looks like i was saying there was a recall for the instrument panel connector. i was just stating what to call it when he goes to the dealer to get the part.
having access to alldata, you should be aware of the proper procedure to repair the cluster since tsb's are listed too.

joey99jb, if for some reason you have to replace the float yourself, it takes about 1.5 hours to lower the tank and remove the fuel pump and replace the float. at least that what the warranty time is. personally we can do it in about 20 minutes on a lift.

Damn, I WAS hoping there was a recall on the sender and I could get it done for free, guess I just wait till the pump dies....

there is a recall for the fuel level sending unit. it covers 98 xj's tj's and zj's. i have done plenty of them. i dont think alldata is up to date with the info. i'll check and try to get the recall number

jneary said:
oops i mis-spoke,the recall is for the 1997's. however it is the same repair for the 98's just not racalled. i apologize.

Not to nit or anything but my 98XJ was built in Oct 97, does that make it a 97 for recall purposes ???

the 97 float i the same as the 98, however the recall was for 97 only,the floats fail on both vehicle and are seiviceable parts. you do not have to replace the whole pump. i just did it today at work.

Back