• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pain is for the Weak!

The guy had an extra dose of will to live!

IIRC there was a hunter that got his foot (arm? I forget) snagged under a boulder and had to cut it off...he was a Surgeon too, so at least he had training in wound management.

What happened to the buddy system? "Two is one, one is none," that's how I learned it. Nice work, but he violated the Cardinal Law - never go into the wilderness (willingly) alone!

The points he loses for putting himself into that position in the first place offsets the points to be gained for keeping his wits about him when he got there.

5-90

But think of this:

You're a hiker going through the area (with a buddy!), and you come across this boulder with a bloody severed arm under it! There's a story to pass around at the local watering hole!

when wilderness is your back yard (ie Utah) you tend to go whenever you can regardless of the buddy rule. I frequently hike alone myself. I never leave home without my nice sharp kershaw divers style survival knife like the one used in Mission Impossible 2. Severing a limb though... or finding a severed limb... :scared:

I'm curious how he ended up with just his arm under a rock that big in the first place, maybe it wasn't his time to check out!

woody said:
The guy had an extra dose of will to live!

IIRC there was a hunter that got his foot (arm? I forget) snagged under a boulder and had to cut it off...he was a Surgeon too, so at least he had training in wound management.

I recall this too, I'm pretty sure a tree fell on his leg. I am wondering if they were able to cut where the bone was broken, or did they habe to break/cut through the bone to be free...weird. I'm sure after 2 minutes of the bleeding he felt nothing.

At least he had a pocketknife and didn't have to chew his arm off. He was probably lucky that the blade didn't break when he was disjointing his own arm. Let's give this guy a hand.. no puns intended.

I'll donate a SnapOn 36" Prybar , a bottle jack, and a pair of rubber gloves to the Jeeper who fetches that guy's arm bones. He;ll prolly appreciate it for a trophy some day.

I agree with 5-90...one is easily compromised, two is a fight. I learned this young in bars and later surrounded by coyote's. I think one person may be or can be forced by events into a BMF, but two BMF working as a team are exponenetially way better off. I have hiked back-country alone and have set off wheeling alone too...it is stupid. The buddy plan is good, even if just wandering off for a piss. Let someone responsible know what your up to...

Back