• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

on orad shocks for xj's

bigliftr5211

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 2dr 2wd cherokee and the front and rear shocks are gone because of a dumb mistake on my part with desert romping. i was inquiring about onroad shocks and which ones are the best and what kind are good but inexpensive and the prices on them and a link if possible

bigliftr5211 said:
i have a 94 2dr 2wd cherokee and the front and rear shocks are gone because of a dumb mistake on my part with desert romping. i was inquiring about onroad shocks and which ones are the best and what kind are good but inexpensive and the prices on them and a link if possible

Which is it; good or inexpensive. Finding both is pretty rare.

With or without a lift. blah, blah, blah ...

I have been very happy with Monroes for street and mild/moderate wheeling (no pre-running or jumping, though). The series I put on my '88 probably 10 years ago used to be called Gas Magnum Plus or something like that. They still sell the same shock but now call it something else, and to further confuse the issue, if you buy through Advance Auto they have their OWN name for that seriies. I don't know if that's also true for the other stores in the Parts America chain.

I believe they are now called Monroe-Matic Plus or Gas-Matic Plus. They sell for around $29 each and have a lifetime warranty. Mine are more than 10 years old and have probably 120,000 to 140,000 miles on them and they still work fine and ride well.

I used to run Monroes before the lift and they were pretty decent. I don't remember how much they were but they couldn't have been too expensive. I asked for a beefier model and the ones I got from the autoparts store were a Nascar truck series shock from Monroe. I noticed a substantial increase in ride comfort over stock shocks and they were decent for moderate wheeling.

Back