• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC retrofit

Sephrion

NAXJA Forum User
i know its been asked before... but im wanting to switch over from R-12 to R-134a, so i've got the R-12 reclaimed... but when i went to put the new coolant in the pressure gauge reads in the range of 100-110psi which in the kit is well into the danger zone.... so does anyone know what could be wrong? its a '94 if that helps any... should i get a new ac system? or just get rid of it and use the compressor for something like say ARB airlockers?? :huh:

You need to draw a vacumn on the system in order to put the new 134a in, if the system has air in it it will not take any coolant. One of the ways they test for leaks is to draw a vac and let it sit for 20-30 min and see if it bleeds off. If it does then there is a leak.

Well, you can buy a vac pump and guage then bleed it down yourself, harbor freight sells them. That pump costs about $20 if I remember correct, plus a vac gauge and some hoses. Not sure if one of those manifold sets could be used but with that you might be able to rig something up. The manifold set is around $70 or so for the 134A type. You will also need the adapters to go on the schrader valves too. Once the vac is drawn you should be able to put in a can of coolant, fire it up and then finish it off normally. Never tried it, had my friend do it a few weeks ago on my 98. There was NO 134 in there, just air, he drew a vac, let it sit for 30 min and when it did not bleed up to atmosphere he refilled it with new 134A with dye in it. So far we have not found any leaks...I know there is one though, just have not found it yet. We've had so much rain it is more than likely washing the dye off if the condenser is leaking.

Back