• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pump help

BurtonUT

NAXJA Forum User
Hello again, I have a 98 and the oil pressure goes all over the place, sometimes you could just hit the gas and it would perk up, it acts like its low on oil, but I have checked the oil and its up to speck, I was thinking the oil pump, how is that for changing or does it sound like something else, also, I am still having the same problem with my fuel pump with the lurching and cutting out. Still only when it gets below a 1/4 of a tank, could it be the relay? or could it be just the pump crapped the bed thanks

mitch

The oil pressure sender on the XJ is notorious for acting flakey. Given that they are cheap, I would throw one in first, and see what readings you get. If it STILL is showing strange behavior, it's time to get a mechanical guage put on the engine, at least temporarily, to see what the REAL oil pressures are.

There was a factory recall on the fuel system, for the symptom you describe. I'm pretty sure it covered the 1997 models, not sure if it includes 1998. Check with your dealer, or call the DaimlerChrysler customer service number with your VIN and they can tell you if your vehicle is included.

there was a recall on most 98's for the fuel gauge problem, the jeeps run out of gas when it reads 1/4 tank. the sending unit is bad. doesnt hurt to see if your jeep qualifies for the recall. as far as the oil gauge, i would replace the sending unit.

Back