• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.2L in XJ

you would need to fab motor mounts, probably cut into the lower front cross member along with re-positioning the cross member for the trans just to start.

I've been playing with the idea, but a FI 302 is starting to look easier IMO even with having to adapt the t/case.

I'm not sure which one, but TC has done a Grand V-8 swap into his XJ. PM him or wait and see if he notices your thread.

What year is the 5.2/auto? If it is 93-95 then you get the OBD-I electronics which are more forgiving than OBD-II (96-up) and they are easier to retrofit to another vehicle. Just thinking out loud here: Have you considered an engine/tranny/t-case swap from a 93-95 v8 Dakota 4x4?

The Dakota uses the A-518 (46rh) transmission instead of the 44re (I believe) found in the GC. The 46rh is an OD version of Ma Mopar's bulletproof 727. Not sure on the t-case but I am thinking it's a 231.

Hit me or FitchVA up for any more Dakota questions if you like. :geek:

:peace:
Travis

While on this matter, a few people which one of them being my Dad have had problems with the tranny goin early on those model GC's with the 5.2. at 37K his tranny sh*t the bed. Why is this?

The V8 Dakota t-case should be a 233 or 231HD. Forget which yeat they switch them. Look on New Venture Gears web site for the app. of t-cases. Juice

xjrugger said:
While on this matter, a few people which one of them being my Dad have had problems with the tranny goin early on those model GC's with the 5.2. at 37K his tranny sh*t the bed. Why is this?

Ok, from what I have seen, Durangos, Explorers, and Grands all have the same prob. If they have an overdrive tranny, which just about all of them do now, the tranny shifts way to much. Be it the weight of the vehicle, the area you live in or what have you. They all seem to have the same problem. The one thing that will make your tranny last longer is when your in town, or in a mountainous area, like me, keep the overdrive switched off. A guy I work with has an 02 Explorer and he started having slippage probs. I had him start turning off the OD unless he was on the highway. The problem stopped. Same with my 99 Grand.

Thanks for the help guys. I think the Grand is a 96 limited. Most of it has been scavaged, but the drivetrain is intact. :farmer:

Back