• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head Gasket

THE NEWF

NAXJA Forum User
Hey hows it going!!
Just checkin out some cherokee web sites and thought i'd join the fourm.
I'm driving a 1994 XJ with a 4 inch Trail Master lift with 31x10.5 BFG Mud Terrains and i love it!!
Just woundering if anyone has had any head gasket problems with a 4L. It seems like mine it toast and i would like to know if anybody has any hints to make this job a little more pleasent!!
Thanks in advance!!

Head gasket problems are not common on 4.0's. When they do blow, it's often because the engine's overheated because of a defect in the cooling system e.g. blocked radiator.
What makes you think your head gasket is toast?

I got my mechanic to do a compresssion test which resulted in very little compression on cylinders 1 and 2. Also I do need a new rad do to a mishap involving a guardrail post.
Thanks for your reply!!

THE NEWF said:
I got my mechanic to do a compresssion test which resulted in very little compression on cylinders 1 and 2.

Loss of compression between adjacent cylinders almost certainly points to a blown head gasket, though a crack in the head cannot be ruled out either. The head will have to come off anyway so you'll find out soon enough. You'll need to have the head checked in case it's warped. If your engine overheated, there's a good chance that it has, in which case you'll need to get the head surface milled flat.

Back