• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Final opinions, going to the shop tomorrow.

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
First I want to thank everyone that has helped me in the past. If it weren't for this forum i would not have gotten a fraction of the way to where i am now.
Bare with me but I need to lay it all out here. So, thankx to richard at fullsizexj i have RE 7.5" coils, 4.5" leafs with shackles and 1.5" blocks with ubolts, brack lines f/r, sway bar relobracket, adj. HD TB with bracket, and front shock conversion. I will be running a LA kit from centerlinemotorsports.com with tcase skid, thankx jerry. I also have an AA SYE and am waiting for the lift install to get measurements for bilstein 5100's and DL. I also picked up a Dana30 with 4.56's and ARB from a YJ that will get the guts installed into my D30, spare shafts. I plan on getting the 29spline 8.25 geared and no-slipped. My JKS quicker disconnects are on their way.
The only thing that i have left to do that I can think of is tires, wheels, and possible steering upgrades. Rock rails and bumpers will come in the near future but i just need to concentrate on the next week.
My question is what am i missing or not thinking about im pretty sure i got everything I have listed. My plan is run 35's with this trimming http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82828 or a version of it. I wont be raising the flares as i dont see any need for it at the moment. What BS do people think would be best with this at 7-8" of lift. I only recently started looking at my steering so im behind on that, the way i see it i dont need to do a full conversion or anything to major at the moment but if there are any ideas about smaller things that would benefit me now while the xj is in the shop please let me now. I was thinkin maybe a pitman arm or TR before it goes to the alignment shop to save from doing it twice.
Please give me any and all thougts about my setup that would be helpful with my limited time frame. Thankx again to everyone, hopefully i will actually meet some of you sometime.

wannabe said:
First I want to thank everyone that has helped me in the past. If it weren't for this forum i would not have gotten a fraction of the way to where i am now.
Bare with me but I need to lay it all out here. So, thankx to richard at fullsizexj i have RE 7.5" coils, 4.5" leafs with shackles and 1.5" blocks with ubolts, brack lines f/r, sway bar relobracket, adj. HD TB with bracket, and front shock conversion. I will be running a LA kit from centerlinemotorsports.com with tcase skid, thankx jerry. I also have an AA SYE and am waiting for the lift install to get measurements for bilstein 5100's and DL. I also picked up a Dana30 with 4.56's and ARB from a YJ that will get the guts installed into my D30, spare shafts. I plan on getting the 29spline 8.25 geared and no-slipped. My JKS quicker disconnects are on their way.
The only thing that i have left to do that I can think of is tires, wheels, and possible steering upgrades. Rock rails and bumpers will come in the near future but i just need to concentrate on the next week.
My question is what am i missing or not thinking about im pretty sure i got everything I have listed. My plan is run 35's with this trimming http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82828 or a version of it. I wont be raising the flares as i dont see any need for it at the moment. What BS do people think would be best with this at 7-8" of lift. I only recently started looking at my steering so im behind on that, the way i see it i dont need to do a full conversion or anything to major at the moment but if there are any ideas about smaller things that would benefit me now while the xj is in the shop please let me now. I was thinkin maybe a pitman arm or TR before it goes to the alignment shop to save from doing it twice.
Please give me any and all thougts about my setup that would be helpful with my limited time frame. Thankx again to everyone, hopefully i will actually meet some of you sometime.

Sounds like you have a very good start. Stuff you probably already know, but just to reinforce it.......the Spicer axles/u-joints in the D30 are marginal with 35's, while you have the front end apart at least upgrade to new 760x joints and use full circle clips. The stock steering is not adequate at that lift height, as has been discussed numerous times, even recently, so be thinking about that (as you said you were). It's not hard to move it over the knuckle, especially using the ORGS pre-fabbed brackets to raise the track bar and sway bar links. Good ideas and sources can be found with a search. In the mean time, you could try putting a slight bend in the TRE at the pitman arm and at the joint in the drag link at the pass knuckle, which would help the joints to not bottom out so soon. The other thing on the stock steering is the tendancy to bend the drag link at the threads next to the adjustment collar, you can run a heavy nut or two on before the collar to take up some of the threads and make it a little stronger (20mm 1.5). I'd learn to do the alignment yourself, you'll need to do it often and it will save you some money, a search will get you plenty of info on how to do it.....very easy.

The best back spacing, as always, is 4.5". You can make 3.25-3.75" BS work with a little more trimming. Have fun, and happy wheeling, :)

Just a word of advice, If you are wanting to wheel this rig right away. You may want to consider putting rock rails at the top of your list. It is very easy to sustain damage to you rockers that will far exceed the cost of a good set of rails. This is one of the first things I did to my XJ. It's always better to learn from other peoples mistakes. Hear are a couple of good places to start.http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/armor.html http://www.jksmfg.com/ http://www.detoursusa.com/xjunireinforcer.html

Thankx guys was hopin to hear from you goat. Where can i find the axles ASAP im leaving for the shop in an hour, if i could have them here by fri. that would work. Rock rails are high on my list and im not goin to the rocks till i get them. As far as steerin im thinking about ordering up some steering box reinforcement plates from cx4x4 or c-rok cant remember at the moment. With the OTK from ORGS isnt there more involved than just flipping the TRE. thankx again hope i hear from people soon. LOL!!!!

wannabe said:
Thankx guys was hopin to hear from you goat. Where can i find the axles ASAP im leaving for the shop in an hour, if i could have them here by fri. that would work. Rock rails are high on my list and im not goin to the rocks till i get them. As far as steerin im thinking about ordering up some steering box reinforcement plates from cx4x4 or c-rok cant remember at the moment. With the OTK from ORGS isnt there more involved than just flipping the TRE. thankx again hope i hear from people soon. LOL!!!!

I'd be thinking disc brakes on that 8.25 (maybe I missed that in your post). D30/8.25 brakes with 35's aren't adequate. For steering, you should definitely be going OTK. Use the ORGS brackets for the trackbar - that's just some simple welding, and then do a crossover with heims so at least the draglink is above the knuckle. Simple conversion...don't be put off by the fact that it isn't "bolt on". This has excellent payback for the work/cost involved.

Your '99 D30 does have the 297 u-joints, which Spicer replaced with the 760's a couple years ago. I don't think you'd want to replace 297's with 760's (although somebody may correct me and provide facts to show it's worth it).

One thing I think you'll find is that the RE 4.5" springs are going to wrap a bit with 1.5" blocks. Go ahead and run them...they are good springs, but you may not get that much life out of them. If you do kill your RE springs, a set of BIGOffroad 6" leafs and RE 1.25" shackle will mate perfectly with the RE 7.5" coils.

I was carrying anywhere from 700 to 1,200 lbs in the cargo area last weekend building a new flagstone patio, and with the "lighter" weights in the 700 lb range and no swaybars it was driving pretty nicely, and probably better than it does totally unloaded (I have clearanced RE shackles that allow flex all the way back to where the spring hits sheet metal so the springs have room to move). That will remove the need for blocks, at some tradeoff of flex...but for a simple 8" lift it works really well especially if you daily drive.

Hope that helps a bit...sounds like a huge project all at once. Good luck getting it all done.

Nay

Back