• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help ASAP!

Tom R.

NAXJA Forum User
I may have found my electrical problem (see Battery Drain thread below) and my Haynes manual says nothing about how to remove the passenger side fender to access the power antenna. Can someone give me the quick and dirty version? Much appreciated.

Tom

WOW, a power antenna thread, last one I remember on that subject was on the old board. I'm digging back into my memory now but I seem to remember that you can get at it, depending on the size of your hands, from the back of the fender inner liner. I do remember it was a *itch to replace.

I don't think you need to remove the fender, but you do need to get uo behind/above the inner liner. You can do that by removing the flare (carefully, preceded by lots of PB Blaster, because you're likely to break off most of the little studs), or by popping the plastic barb fittings that hold the liner against the inner fender. You'll need to remove the inner liner to take off the fender anyway, so doing it isn't wasted effort if this doesn't provide sufficient access to reach the wiring.

The fender itself is held with about four bolts on the top, covered by the edge of the hood; two on the bottom just ahead of the door; two from the door post, accessible with the door open; and two (I think) in the front behind the headlight. When I replaced the front fenders on my MJ I recall removing the entire header -- don't remember the details, but I think it was necessary or I sure wouldn't have done it.

Last edited:
jneary said:
are you just trying to disconnect the antenna?
Well, not exactly......though this is another route to verify if it is indeed the problem. I hear a clicking sound every 20 to 25 seconds from the area that houses the power antenna. It sounds much like the sound that relay contacts make. I could get by if I disconnect the power to the antenna (my manual doesn't show the schematic of this either :confused: ). I'd rather be sure by pulling the fender, verify if the clicking noise is from the unit, and then fix it on spot or remove it altogether. It could be the power wire is grounded against some metal part or some other easy fix.....regardless, I'd like to find out. Thanks,

Tom

does the antenna sound like it is still running after it has been lowered? there is a connector under the dash on the passenger side around the kick panel or above the knee bolster. it it a flat connector with 3 or 4 wires .green gray white and i think a black wire but i dont exactly recall the wire colors. you can unplug it and see if the noise stops. also im nos sure on that year but i think there is a fuse marked aux. under the dash. that works the power antenna. good luck

Diggin thru the cobwebs, the power antenna uses a nylon tube that drives the antenna up and down. The nylon breaks and the antenna never gets the 'I'm down' or 'I'm up' signal to stop turning the motor that drives it. I seem to remember the cheap fix was raise the antenna and cut/unplug the connector. Medium fix was replace it with a fixed jeep antenna and the expensive one was to replace it with a new power antenna. I'd opt for the medium fix, I dislike power accys, I say a little prayer every day that my wifes power windows and door locks continue working on her oldsmobile..

Yep, I accessed the antenna through the splash guard where it meets the flare and saw the wires: green, gray, and white. I traced them through the passenger kick panel and up under the glove box area to the connector. Good memory jneary! The connector, which has other wires attached to it, is the kind where each individual wire is inserted into it. It was just too easy to cut the wires before the connector....snip, snip, snip. :roll: I can always reattach them later if need be.

The power antenna motor was quite hot and I'm sure on its last legs. I decided right then that I'd replace it with a fix antenna (Rich's medium fix). So we're on the same page, Rich. Thanks folks. You've proved once again that this is the best XJ site/organization.

Tom

Run it up & pull the fuse. JIM.

Run it all most all the way down, with only like 2in sticking up(the fattest part), then pull the fuse, it still works and you never have to worry about it getting taken off with a tree!! :clap:

Or if you just want to uplug it to test it, the plug is behind the dash on the pass. side, its a plug with 3 wires, green, grey, and black.

Glad that you fixed the problem,FYI on the replacement raido (Sony) I put in there was a wire to power the antenna.You could pull the radio and cut the wire so no one could inadvertentlly(sp) plug it back in.
Wayne

Back