• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Catalytic Converters

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody used Eastern brand? I've read on here in the past about Carsound ones on eBay and that's probably what I'll get unless lots of people chime in and say that Eastern is good. The website says the Eastern is good for engines up to 4.0L, and I don't typically like to be right at the ceiling from the beginning, so just wondering. Thanks.

I haven't had one for 3 years now but I'm tired of putting it on and taking it back off once every year for the emissions inspection, and I can feel a loss in low-end power without it also.

I had a catco and it was great. Flowed well and my emissions were excellent. Its now bashed the hell up along side the rest of my undercarrige though. Next cat will have some 3/16 plating or some type of armor. Oh, the catcos are really cheap from summitracing.com

For those that have run Carsound cats, what series is the one they sell on eBay? I already emailed the seller but it's late at night so I probably won't hear back till tomorrow. Anybody know the difference between the series and which is best on the XJ? TIA.

OK since this is the last topic I think has helped. Running of the Eastern catalytic convertor which states works up to a 4.0, does that mean it is nost suggested to work well with a 4.0?
I own a 92 XJ I6 4.0 and it needs new O2 sensors Cat and muffler and just looking for a good priced package or items to buy with a shoe string budget?
With our going to the Stealership, where does everyone suggest to purchase these items.
The LAS suck for being Kragens, or some Mom and Pop shops where they only work on electric cars

The Magnaflow (Carsound) cats on ebay are usually around 45 bucks, so search around.

I never got answers to any of my questions, so I just went with what everybody else has tried and reported on in other threads, the carsound cat from ebay. $55 shipped.

This may be too late, but when comparing prices on catalytic converters, be sure you compare apples to apples. There are "universal fit" cats, and there are "direct fit" cats. If you look under an XJ, you'll see that the forward pipe on the cat has a square flange with 4 bolts where it mates with the exhaust pipe. Direct fit cats cost a bit more, but they come with the correct flange for an OEM fit. Universal fit cats just have a round pipe on both ends, like a muffler, and require that you salvage your old flange and enough of the pipe to weld the new cat onto. I think the difference in price between a universal fit and a direct fit from Summit Racing is about $15 or $20, and I'll happily pay that to avoid all the hassle of trying to salvage an old, rusted out flange.

If stock exhaust has flanges, I don't think I've ever seen stock exhaust :). I thought mine was, but I guess not. When I bought mine used it already had slip joints with exhaust clamps holding everything together. I agree with Eagle though, flanges would be much easier to deal with. Slip joints, for example, crimp the pipes together when you tighten the clamps, and taking them off later is a royal pain.

i just picked up a 2001 xj! Got it from delaware running no cat and flowmaster muffler, sounds great. Had to put an a cat for PA emissions, i went with carsound and it sounds exactlly the same and runs the same. Very happy with the carsound cat!

juicexj24 said:
This is the Car Sounds Cat.
http://www.truckperformance.com
It cost $125.99 or go on Ebay and look around. As for the O2 sensor, a Bosch replacement one is fine. 89 bucks at Autozone if I remember. Juice

Boy, the owners of truckperformance must have gotten a bigger boat for the 2004 season, that cat is up to $185 + shipping..... guess with the price of marine gas.....

Back