• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skids..

spkshasha

NAXJA Forum User
I am new to wheeling and loving it. I have been running my XJ pretty much stock but I would like to attack some tougher trails..I already have the receiver hitch..I have been trying to make a list of all the skids/protection that I need--i wanna do it all at once.
Rockers, gas tank, transfer case, front skid, diffs..-anyone think of some other skids i would need?
Thanks
-Shawn

Sounds like a good list.

For now I would skip the front and diff skids, as diff covers are pretty tough and you aren't hitting any hardcore trails for now in stock condition (I assume).

Spend the money you save on tow hooks and recovery straps, 1st aid kit, and fire extenguisher.

skip the front skid, get an aftermarket t-case skid, factory gas tank skid, definitely rock sliders, and a front diff gaurd is a good idea but a rear one is hardly needed and I wouldn't spend a dime on the D35 if that's what you have in the rear.

receiver in the rear is a great extraction point, but get some tow hook brackets for the front also and a good strap

next step is a 3" lift, 31s and two lockrights, you'll be blown away how much farther that will take you

Okie Terry said:
Sounds like a good list.

For now I would skip the front and diff skids, as diff covers are pretty tough and you aren't hitting any hardcore trails for now in stock condition (I assume).

Spend the money you save on tow hooks and recovery straps, 1st aid kit, and fire extenguisher.

not enough emphasis can be placed here, do a search under the user name Phil Weeks if you have any questions about what a Jeep BBQ is like. Get at least one and make it easy to get to.

BrettM said:
not enough emphasis can be placed here, do a search under the user name Phil Weeks if you have any questions about what a Jeep BBQ is like. Get at least one and make it easy to get to.

I hope everyone learns from my mistake! It's a tech requirement for a reason!

Tomorrow I am salvaging what I can from my MJ. This was a truck that my dad bought new in 1991. If I would have taken the 10 minutes to go to the parts store and spent the cash for a fire extinguisher, I might be able to wheel it this weekend instead of picking through the charred carcass.
Front shot
Driver's side
Passenger side
Inside the cab

Back