• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-arched Springs? Good/Bad?

Googenheimer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a newby so I'll ask alot of generic questions. I tried to search this one out already and came up empty handed. My '94 has some aftermarket springs from Mepco that I assume were to be a 3 or 3.5" lift. Since I purchased it, the springs on the back have sagged quite a bit especially the left one. I would like to purchase new ones but the budget won't allow that for quite some time. I called a place in Payson that says they can re-arch my springs and also add an Add-a-leaf (to keep them from sagging again) for $60 a side. If anyone has done this and could tell me the results/opinion I would appreciate it.
Also I have a bad wobble that is shaking me to pieces. It's not quite the feared "death wobble" but just feels like my tires need balancing. However no matter how many times I get them balanced it doesn't solve the problem. It seems to come from the driver's side rear wheel. I've also had people riding in the back tell me they can feel a popping or thumping sound directly under their feet. This pointed me in the direction of the spring hangar. Could it be possible that my cock-eyed sagging spring is causing this noise. In theory this spring that is sagging more than the right one could displace the alignment of the wheels, could it not? Could this be causing my wobble/shake?What do you think?

Re-arching springs works, but most people find they sag again eventually. However, the combination of re-arching and adding a leaf, if it's a true full-length add-a-leaf, should work pretty well, and getting all that for $60 per side is a bargain. New stock leaf springs go for about $130 per side at my "friendly" (sometimes) local spring shop.

Googenheimer said:
I'm a newby so I'll ask alot of generic questions. I tried to search this one out already and came up empty handed. My '94 has some aftermarket springs from Mepco that I assume were to be a 3 or 3.5" lift. Since I purchased it, the springs on the back have sagged quite a bit especially the left one. I would like to purchase new ones but the budget won't allow that for quite some time. I called a place in Payson that says they can re-arch my springs and also add an Add-a-leaf (to keep them from sagging again) for $60 a side. If anyone has done this and could tell me the results/opinion I would appreciate it.
Also I have a bad wobble that is shaking me to pieces. It's not quite the feared "death wobble" but just feels like my tires need balancing. However no matter how many times I get them balanced it doesn't solve the problem. It seems to come from the driver's side rear wheel. I've also had people riding in the back tell me they can feel a popping or thumping sound directly under their feet. This pointed me in the direction of the spring hangar. Could it be possible that my cock-eyed sagging spring is causing this noise. In theory this spring that is sagging more than the right one could displace the alignment of the wheels, could it not? Could this be causing my wobble/shake?What do you think?

Price sounds decent, is that a long AAL or a short one. Avoid the short AAL, they tem to make the packs sag a lot quicker. Also, what I have done is rotate the leaf springs about once a year.

What do you mean by cock-eyed, are the leaves not in line?

There are many reasons why you have the wobbles, trust me search, there are answers. If you have just wobbles, they are very related to DW, most likely the same solution will fix your problem.

Personally, I think rearching springs, really isn't the way to go, because as mentioned before, they will sag earlier, due to the fact the spring was already fatigued once. I think that it just puts too much fatigue in the spring to last any real length of time, expecially if your wheeling with it. $.02

Rob

Just go ahead and do it I had valley spring works in phx do mine from stock to 3.5 lift for my xj and they added another full length leaf I flex the hell out of it and havent even had a hint of sag yet :clap: , even with my protofab tire carrier and a 32 out back....
just make sure its done right thats usally most peoples problem....
themud

Back