• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have a 97+ w/3"+ without a SYE/driveshaft????

99greenjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I know, I know....I will need one eventually. I am saving up!! But I will be putting in an RE 3.5" Super Flex (w/AAL) in a week or so on my 99 classic and was wondering if anyone had this setup without really bad vibes?? I am planning on putting 4 degree shims on and maybe a t-case drop, but can vibes be so bad that I couldn't drive it home 30+ miles from where I will install the lift???
Any helpful suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.
thanks,
Dave

it all depends on your jeep, you wont know until you do it. i have 3" on my 99 and have no vibes what so ever, but some people have put on a BB and have had awful vibes. just go for it and find out

nothing at all, i will drop the t-case once i go up an inch or two and also shim. keep in mind that RE lifts usually give more than what they say, so you might have some problems

I'm getting ready to install a 3.5 RE superflex on my 99 cherokee, lemme know about what probs you have, that way I know what to run into/expect when I lift mine at the end of this year (when the Jeep and I go back to the states!)

Kris

99greenjeeper said:
I know, I know....I will need one eventually. I am saving up!! But I will be putting in an RE 3.5" Super Flex (w/AAL) in a week or so on my 99 classic and was wondering if anyone had this setup without really bad vibes?? I am planning on putting 4 degree shims on and maybe a t-case drop, but can vibes be so bad that I couldn't drive it home 30+ miles from where I will install the lift???
Any helpful suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.
thanks,
Dave

It's a loaded question: each jeep is created different and chances are that you might need it or might not. Until you install it you will not know. Also as it settles in the begininig things will change: you will start higher then normal and then things will settle a bit down.

what year is it

Ramsey said:
what year is it
His profile says it's a 99 Jeep; you can expect vibrations from almost all 96+ XJ though - thanks for the useful t-case redesign, D-C!! The extent of vibrations will vary between Jeeps though; I was able to get away with a t-case drop and still drive mine for a short time before getting the SYE and driveshaft in. After that, the vibes were gone.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess I will just have to see what happens. I'll keep you updated. Can the vibes get so bad that you can't drive....safely? How much should I plan on dropping the t-case initially if I do have bad vibes?

thanks again,
Dave

I wouldn't go much over a 1" t-case drop anyway. The vibes don't really effect the drive as much as they start to rip apart your u-joints and t-case output.

Jim

since you are using the AALs instead of the springs, you might be alright. i think those will only net about 3", whereas the springpacks will net 4.5ish.

i say with shims and tcase drop you should should be fine. but who knows.

Yucca-Man said:
His profile says it's a 99 Jeep; you can expect vibrations from almost all 96+ XJ though - thanks for the useful t-case redesign, D-C!! The extent of vibrations will vary between Jeeps though; I was able to get away with a t-case drop and still drive mine for a short time before getting the SYE and driveshaft in. After that, the vibes were gone.

i have a 99 so definetly not all of them , i do see the almost all now though

I have a 2000 with a measured 3" lift with a 20mm T-case drop and no vibes and no shims. Prior to the t-case drop I had vibes, I'll probably try and shim it and remove the drop or shim it and go up a bit higher.

Cheers
Steve

Why do people want to be cheap and be determind to tear their Jeep up. I don't care what anyone says if you go 3"+ get an SYE, perferable one like a AA HD SYE and cv shaft.

I don't see how anyone can be a member of any Jeep forum and not automatically know to order an SYE with their lift if they own a 97+ XJ. And if you don't have the cash thats simple, wait till you do. Do it right the first time and everything is always better.

I have owned (2) XJs, both 2000s, both had terrible vibes one at 3" one at 4.5", both had AA HD SYEs sitting in the garage waiting on me to install. Just go ahead and get it over with.

I'm running a measured 5" inches with a stock shaft on my 2000 and don't have any vibes that I can notice. I have a 8.8 that I set up to give a degree under equal from front and back with a 1" Xcase drop. When I had it in for other work I ask the shop to check for vibes when the test drove it and they said it was good. Are there other XJs out there running this much lift without a SYE or could I be putting vibes on bearings and u-joints that I can't feel?

suprised you have not gotten :flame: yet for running 5 with no sye, but if it works, more power to ya and i hope mine will be as fortunate

both my daughters are running RE's 3.5" superflex lifts (actually more like 4") and don't need the SYE. One has a 2001 and the other has a 1997. The only difference is that the 1997 has the HP D30 which makes it smoother. The rear ends are both 8.25s. An SYE is really nice but not always necessary. I have a complete SYE kit sitting on the shelf but it just hasn't been really needed un till now. They do wheel them hard...Tellico and Moab, etc.

i ran 4.5 in for over a year wit no vibe no t case drop or shims. my buddy ran 6in on a zj for 2 years no sye just longer drive shaft. although i agree wait till you can get a sye and ds combo in the long run it is better for the t case and jeep in general.

WIll

Back