• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Long Should My Lca's Be???

davberry

NAXJA Forum User
Well another question about LCA's...
i have a set of superlift lca's, they are adjustable. so how long should they be? i have a 97xj with 3in superlift. i have been playing around with some front end vibes and discovered that the ujoints needed to be replaced...well in doing that i thought that i would make sure that the LCA's are at the right length. I thinkt that maybe the length ws not right because it would sound funny when hitting bumps, mainly on dirt roads...could this be from them (LCA) not beening at the correct length now that the lift went on????

The length of the LCA is really determined by the pinion angle. While it would be ideal to have the pinion ponting directly at the tcase output, in practice, that removes all of your caster if you have much of a lift at all. You normally end up splitting the angle. It tends to be an adjust and try process. You want the pinion as low as possible and not have driveshaft vibrations. In other words, the LCA as long as possible without vibes. If the LCA is too short you will get a vehicle that does not want to go in a straight line and death wobble is a definate possibility. :hang:

well thats the same info that i have herd from everybody...what i dont get is that it still rides and sounds like shit... i realy want to get it to sound like its not gonna fall apart when i hit large bumps...? any aother ideas.
when i got the LCAS from superlift they were set to stock length. then some dude told me that the wheel base needs to be 101.4 for the my xj, so i lengthen the lcas to meet that length. not much better, and now once again i have taken them apart to try to get it to be just right. this fine tuning is for the birds...
so according to the chart my lca's should be at 16" for a 3" lift, is this the general thoughts???????

Stock is 15.75" - the link I posted shows 16.09" (aka 16") for the LCA and stock length UCA at 15" is to be used. If there is a lot of noise when you hit bumps, make sure your torqued down right.

well i changed the lenght to be @ 16" and that seemed to help, but for some reason i still have vibrations... and i am in the process of replacint the ujoints in the front drive shaft. could the ujoints in the front axel be bad?
any other i deas for getting rid of the vibrations....or could the poly bushings just cause more sounds/vibrations than the rubber stock ones?
has any one else noticed more vibs from poly bushings... maybe its normal? My girl has a stock 99 xj and it seems to have simular sounds but they are mor muffled. could this be the difference between the rubber and poly????

Back